Bad UX, esp Chrome desktop extension

I'm surprised and, okay, rather irritated, given the price of 1password and the reviews, with the dismal usability of 1password, at least on Windows within a Chrome browser. The goofy Chrome extension that is supposedly optimized for integration with the desktop app is horrible. This unpolished, clunky extension makes it incredibly hard to create a new login ("Settings/save new login" really??? and then the result has no saved username and password, really???). But far worse is the failure to prompt for autofill on webpage login forms. This appears only to work on the primary 1password Chrome extension. It should say something significant that there are two 1password Windows chrome extensions, neither of which do the whole job?

Am I using the same tool that's charging me this annual fee and that everyone else is so excited about? What am I missing?

1Password Version: 7.4.750
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• You shouldn't need to use that setting to create a new Login, @kay2thebee, which is why it's kind of tucked away. The vast majority of the time, 1Password should automatically capture new data it hasn't yet saved all on its own as you sign in to websites and prompt you to save it. That setting can be handy on the occasion a particular sign-in form isn't triggering autosave or isn't saving properly, but as a rule you should only need to sign in and click "Save" to create a new Login. It would definitely be onerous if you had to navigate those menus ever time and we absolutely don't expect you to.

As for autofill, 1Password actually doesn't prompt you to fill as soon as the page loads. It needs to be told to fill. You can either select a Login item from the extension (it should show you only those that match the site you're on so you're not sifting through them yourself) or you can just press Ctrl + \ and it will fill for you. This choice was made with security in mind. Automatic autofill can be exploited entirely without your knowledge and we want to ensure that when you're letting that data outside of 1Password where it can be accessed by the website, you know and consent to that. You can learn more about the whys and wherefores behind that in this blog post from our Chief of Security:

https://blog.1password.com/1password-keeps-you-safe-by-keeping-you-in-the-loop/

Hopefully that helps make the extension you're using a bit friendlier, but it still sounds to me like you're wanting to do most everything in your browser and if that's the case, 1Password X may be a better fit for you. It can do the vast majority of what the desktop app does, allows you to view more about your items in your browser, and has a handy inline menu that displays right in form fields, which is a filling method that's a lot more comfortable for some folks. Plus, I will admit it's far prettier. We want to improve the look of the extension's UI on Windows too and 1Password X's styling is likely a good preview of what that would look like. You can check learn about it here, if you'd like, and do feel free to take it for a spin:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

This is actually the extension I use on my personal time (I need to use the desktop app's extension at work so I can help test it). I prefer it myself and think it sounds like you may too, based on your feedback. Do let me know if you have additional questions, though, and I absolutely welcome and appreciate any feedback you have about either. We're not all going to love the same things and that is totally okay. It's up to those of us making things to get as close to something everyone loves as we can and all feedback is a huge help. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.