Now requires .NET 4.7.2?

Options

I got an unexpected pop-up window, window title "1Password", text: "1Password requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 or later to be installed first. Would you like to download it? [Yes] [No]"

Task Manager shows me 1PasswordSetup-7.4.750.exe is running.

I clicked No, the installer stopped, and I can run 1Password 7.3.712. It prompts me to update, in a blue banner, which I can close. I turned off "automatically update when app is locked" in settings.

I don't know where this process would plan to download .NET from, but my inclination is that this is not the best way to update .NET.

If I had to update .NET, I wouldn't go to 4.7.2. I can still install .NET 4.8 via Windows Update - it's listed among my Optional updates. I didn't want to do that either, but I guess that's my best choice?

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Tonetony!

The latest versions of 1Password Beta (starting from version 7.4.738-BETA) require .NET Framework 4.7.2. You are free to install it however you prefer, but you will need it if you want to keep 1Password up-to-date.

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2020
    Options

@Tonetony:

I don't know where this process would plan to download .NET from, but my inclination is that this is not the best way to update .NET.

Note that clicking on "Yes" in the message that 1Password shows you will simply open the Microsoft website, where you can choose what version of the .NET framework to download, including version 4.8 if you prefer.

But if you prefer to do this through Windows Update instead, that will also work. You are free to use the method that you prefer.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good morning @Tonetony. If you can still install .NET 4.8 via Windows Update, then you should be good to go. Thanks!

• Kathryn
    Kathryn
    Community Member
    Options

The constant message is annoying, and I don't want to have to update all of my computers with Microsoft software just to use your software. I purposely have not updated my Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers because they WORK without the updates that mess up the computers. The Windows 10 computer is a nightmare. We would appreciate it if you would have your software work independently, so that we don't have to mess up our computers just to use your software.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kathryn:

To make the message go away, please update to the necessary .NET version. 1Password requires it, so I suggest you update both. And sooner or later even other software will start needing it, so you might as well do this already :+1:

• Kathryn
    Kathryn
    Community Member
    Options

When I buy software, I expect it to work without my having to spend time installing items that don't work correctly. We have many computers and this makes it even more of a chore. We'll probably just keep hitting "No."

• MikeT
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi @Kathryn,

I understand, I had to deal with bad Windows updates on my PCs too (I had to use backups to restore corrupted data) but it is not a good idea to stick with old OS versions that have security problems as Microsoft can only fix them in later builds.

As for 1Password, in order to benefit from improvements and security fixes, 1Password has to update along with any framework it uses. The more outdated your computer is, the more risk you have at getting infected. 1Password cannot protect you against any low-level compromises from Windows. If you want to keep your data protected inside 1Password, you still have to update your systems.

Shipping 1Password independently without any .NET framework does not change this, you still going to have to update Windows to ensure you're protected.

As for why we require .NET 4.7.2 now in 1Password 7.4, it gives us better accessibility, HiDPI improvements, some cryptography changes, and more. 1Password 7 has always required .NET from the beginning; the difference is that when you first bought or start using 1Password, you already had that specific .NET version installed (4.6.2). 1Password 7.4 bumps the .NET requirement to 4.7.2, which has been available from Microsoft since April 2018, nearly two years. My Windows 7 PC updated me to .NET 4.8 a while ago via Windows updates.

You're more than welcome to keep saying no but please be aware that your security risk is much higher when you stick with older Windows and 1Password builds.

Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows 7 as well, it will not be getting any security fixes.

• Kathryn
    Kathryn
    Community Member
    Options

We understand that Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows 7, however, it is the only one of their OS systems that works dependably, which is why we leave it alone as long as it's working. We've had two brand new computers entirely crash from Windows 10, not to be resurrected, even by experts. I was really looking for a way to disable the message, more than a way to install the new software.

• If you want to avoid the message about .NET showing, @Kathryn, you can disable automatic updates in 1Password's settings. It's also worth noting that you can install the new .NET on Windows 7 and 8 computers. You don't need to update to Windows 10.

Now, if you'll forgive me a bit of a tangent of my own, I think this a something a lot of folks say about a lot of things, particularly in software:

we leave it alone as long as it's working

Our digital lives are so complicated these days and we depend on so many things to keep us going both personally and at work that this often seems like the best thing to do. The key part of this, though, is so long as it's working. Early on when any piece of software falls out of support – be it your operating system or just a favorite text editor that's no longer being developed – it will probably appear to keep working with minimal issues. In this case, it sounds like the latest 1Password update is the first thing not working for you. But given time, you're likely to see more and more of this and each time you decide to work around these issues by skipping an update to one app or another or changing a workflow or whatever is required to keep things running, you're making the eventual transition harder.

We've got an actual term for this in development because we do this to ourselves all the time. We call it "tech debt". At its core, tech debt is work we create for our future selves to try to save our present selves some pain. These are trying times right now. We've got a ton on our mind, we're all probably already doing a ton of extra work to try to keep our work and our lives running, and the very last thing we need right now is another monumental task. It's a perfectly fine time to be saving our present selves pain and I think our future selves will understand. But, I'd take Mike's comments to heart and keep in mind that even though this stuff stinks, it is important long term. And a time is going to come when things don't work anymore.

I absolutely don't want to tell you what to do, especially not at times like these. But just my two cents to keep in mind for when you're ready. And a bit of encouragement to tackle the task sooner if you can. It's going to be chore and you're probably going to hate it no matter when you do it, but updating is a task worth doing and it's probably going to be easier if you do it earlier. No matter what you do, though, take care of yourself and those around you and stay safe out there. 💙

This discussion has been closed.