Erratic Touch ID unlock on MacBook Pro

Options
rbrak29
rbrak29
Community Member

I have a Macbook Pro running 10.15.3 and 1Password 7.4.3. For several months now using 1Password in Safari or Firefox has been a pain. Many times when I am on a site that has a stored user name and password and click the 1Password icon in the browser menubar, the normal 1Password window (Scan Fingerprint) comes up which is overlaid with a popup window ""iPassword 7" is trying to unlock. Touch ID or enter your password to allow this." Normally the pulsing arrow appears next to the Touch ID to allow for fingerprint scanning. Now sometimes it does not. One has to dismiss the overlaid popup by clicking Cancel and clicking the fingerprint icon on the underlying window. This opens the window to 1Password's stored logins, but not to the specific login for the site in the browser, just a list of all logins. Now you have to click off the window to dismiss it and select the 1Password browser menubar icon again to get to the specific login and password. The only way to prevent this from happening more often is to right click on the 1Password Finder menubar icon and quit 1Password completely. Things are fine for awhile, but the issue comes back. I have uninstalled browser extensions in Safari and Firefox and removed and installed 1Password itself, still the issue reoccurs. Have reached out to support and was told the Mac team is looking into this. Have not heard back.

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2020
    Options

@rbrak29

click the 1Password icon in the browser menubar, the normal 1Password window (Scan Fingerprint) comes up which is overlaid with a popup window ""iPassword 7" is trying to unlock. Touch ID or enter your password to allow this."

This message is from macOS, and not part of 1Password.

Normally the pulsing arrow appears next to the Touch ID to allow for fingerprint scanning. Now sometimes it does not.

This prompt is also from macOS and not part of 1Password. Your description sounds as if the message window from macOS was not in focus. Click on the window once to bring it into focus. Here are two examples.

Focused: * Note the red color on the fingerprint icon when it is in focus, and the " pulsing arrow" is active.

Unfocused: * Note the greyed out color of the fingerprint icon when it is not in focus, and the " pulsing arrow" is not active

One has to dismiss the overlaid popup by clicking Cancel and clicking the fingerprint icon on the underlying window.

If not in focus, I would expect this behavior. If it is in focus, you would put your finger over the Touch ID sensor.

This opens the window to 1Password's stored logins, but not to the specific login for the site in the browser, just a list of all logins.

If I am following you correctly, this would be the correct behavior because you dismissed the actual prompt and opened the app directly.

Please let me know if this helps to improve the experience.

• rbrak29
    rbrak29
    Community Member
    Options

ag_tommy, you might be right. Sometimes when the 1Password icon in the browser menubar, the focus is on the MacOS Touch ID popup, where it should be. Sometimes it's not. Why? I am not clicking anywhere after I click the 1Password icon. I am using an Apple mouse, not the touch pad.

• @rbrak29

Honestly, I noticed this on my own Mac, but never really determined if it was me, or something else causing it. I was simply passing on my personal experience in the hopes it would help you too.

This discussion has been closed.