App detected on Secure Desktop

Hello,
I'm always using Secure Desktop button to unlock 1Password. But After last update, when I'm trying to unlock 1Password via Secure desktop, it gives me message: App detected on Secure Desktop 14620 (random number) and two buttons: Allow App and Close Secure Desktop. I don't know, what app is trying to run with 1Password, so I'm closing secure desktop.
What I can or should do in this case?

1Password Version: 7.4.750
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 18363.657
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Viktor_K,

Thanks for writing in.

That is not a random number but the process ID. We default to showing the app name but if we can't detect it, we fall back to the process ID.

If you bring up the Task Manager and go to the Details tab, sort it by PID (which is process id) and then find that process id.

• Viktor_K
    Viktor_K
    Community Member

Ah, that was "Mouse without borders" from Microsoft.
    Thanks.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Viktor_K,

On behalf of Mike you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions about Secure Desktop or 1Password in general, we are here to help. :) Thanks!

++
    Greg

• DougWilson
    DougWilson
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

Interestingly, Synergy (another keyboard and mouse sharing app) has the same problem. It's been driving me nuts for a week or so but I couldn't figure out what was going on.

I hope you have a work item to address this. Synergy is a huge part of my daily working and it's really frustrating that every time I go to unlock 1Password I get the warning. At the very least, maybe you could make the warning dialog look like it's from 1Password instead of Windows and also make it clear that it's displaying the PID and not just a random number.

Even better would be to work with the Synergy guys (they're on Github) and either allow me to put Synergy on a whitelist in 1Password or have Synergy learn to ignore the Secure Desktop.

Incidentally, the Synergy process (synergys.exe) that interrupts the password entry is transient. It took me a while to figure out what process was at fault. In the end I used Sysinternal's Process Explorer and set the Difference Highlight Duration to 9 seconds. Hopefully that saves you some time.

• We'd love to be able to do that, @DougWilson, and will certainly be exploring our options, but it comes with a few pretty sizable hurdles. First, we'd need to encrypt that whitelist. If we don't, any app could just add itself to the whitelist entirely defeating the point of the feature. Even if we do find a way to encrypt it, you'd need to unlock that list before it could be read or modified so we'd also have to find a way to do so without having that process be just as disruptive as having to allow the same app each time. You've also touched on a challenge yourself with finding the process in the first place. Beyond processes that are transient by nature, we also have processes we can't identify beyond the PID right now. That PID, of course, isn't static so whitelisting that would useless.

None of this means we won't try. What you envision is definitely what we'd prefer. But, we need to take a longer look at it to explore our options and see what's possible while being conscious of the fact that it may be nothing is ... at least not yet.

• DougWilson
    DougWilson
    Community Member

It seems that I may have solved this on my own. Synergy has a setting labeled "Elevate". By default it's set to "As Needed" but once I set it to "Never" the problem stopped happening.

• Huh. Interesting find, @DougWilson. Presumably that means it was running with admin rights before? I could certainly see that making sense, if that's the case. Either way, fixed is fixed so no complaints here. Enjoy! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.