After the 1Password for Windows 7.4.750 update, I cannot uninstall, and I cannot downgrade

Options

This morning, 1Password for Windows automatically updated to the 7.4.750 (build #750) – released 2020-03-06.

That version has changed the look and behavior of the apps. The menubar is not integrated in the window, and it takes a lot of extra space now. It is horrible, and I could not find any way to disable it in setting, and to return to the old menubar.

After that, I learned that not only this menubar is forced, but that the 1Password uninstaller is broken, and that I cannot install the old 1Password 7.3.712 anymore.

Support so far is completely unhelpful, and the most important software on my computer - the software that manages all my personal identity and information - is broken and does not work, and I cannot access any of my personal information in my computer.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• pedrogarcia
    pedrogarcia
    Community Member
    Options

The uninstall just fails silently and does not respond. The old 1Password installers also fail silently and does not work.

• MikeT
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi @pedrogarcia,

Thanks for writing in. I'm sorry to hear the upgrade didn't go well for you.

That version has changed the look and behavior of the apps. The menubar is not integrated in the window, and it takes a lot of extra space now. It is horrible, and I could not find any way to disable it in setting, and to return to the old menubar.

We are forced to reverted back to the supported Windows titlebar that is more consistent and works more reliably. We hate this too but we don't have a choice. I'll quote my teammate, Kate, about this in other threads;

We've also changed the titlebar to use Windows' default titlebar and I will admit, I'm not a fan of the default titlebar either. When I first saw it, I'm pretty sure I said "ew" out loud. That said, using our custom titlebar has caused quite a few issues in the past and breaks the system animation for minimizing, etc. It was definitely prettier, but had proven too problematic for us to keep it. Still, we definitely do want to improve upon that long term and will absolutely take advantage of any opportunity to make it look sleeker. Windows is working on some modernization of the titlebar, as well as some other UI elements, that we hope to be able to take advantage of when they're ready. We can't say when that might be, but it's one thing we're really looking forward to as it should give us some tools to improve that look. While I know this won't be the case for everyone, I personally found the titlebar stopped jumping out at me quite so much after a while of using our internal betas. I still don't love it, but it doesn't bother me the way it did when I first saw it. Take that for whatever it might be worth and perhaps you'll feel the same given time.

After that, I learned that not only this menubar is forced, but that the 1Password uninstaller is broken, and that I cannot install the old 1Password 7.3.712 anymore.

You will get an error when installing 7.3.712 because you have a newer database that's been updated to 1Password 7.4, 1Password 7.3 cannot read that database. We do back up your database before we update, so there is a way to go back but we do not recommend this because you're missing out on security improvements as well. The overall look in 1Password 7.4 can take a bit of getting used to but it will get better in time.

Support so far is completely unhelpful, and the most important software on my computer - the software that manages all my personal identity and information - is broken and does not work, and I cannot access any of my personal information in my computer.

We've only just got your email ~20m away and our staff is much smaller on the weekends.

Can you clarify what you mean that you cannot access your information, you didn't say anything about not accessing your data

The uninstall just fails silently and does not respond. The old 1Password installers also fail silently and does not work.

Are you saying when you uninstall, you still see 1Password running on your computer? There is no UI when installing or uninstalling 1Password, it does it silently and instantly.

Do not force the install/uninstall of 1Password 7.3 on top of 1Password 7.4 database, it will result into errors. The only way to install 1Password 7.3 is to rename the database and sign in again or stick with 1Password 7.4 instead with your existing 1Password database.

• pedrogarcia
    pedrogarcia
    Community Member
    Options

When I click the uninstall button it just launches 1Password instead.

You will get an error when installing 7.3.712 because you have a newer database that's been updated to 1Password 7.4, 1Password 7.3 cannot read that database. We do back up your database before we update, so there is a way to go back but we do not recommend this because you're missing out on security improvements as well

There's no error - it just does not respond and does not work. And I'm also not sticking with 1Password 7.4. The only options I see are downgrade, or a lawsuit because I can't access and export my data.

Are you saying when you uninstall, you still see 1Password running on your computer? There is no UI when installing or uninstalling 1Password, it does it silently and instantly.

Because of the "silent" uninstall, something is broken and I had a lot of difficulties trying to get the old version of 1Password on my computer. And that means that I can't access my 1Password data on my computer. The uninstall button on Control Panel does nothing - it just launches 1Password.

Do not force the install/uninstall of 1Password 7.3 on top of 1Password 7.4 database, it will result into errors. The only way to install 1Password 7.3 is to rename the database and sign in again or stick with 1Password 7.4 instead.

I don't know how to do that, but I do know that 1Password 7.4 is not acceptable. There is no way in hell that I'm going to "stick with 7.4". You stick that hell, that's what I tell you. It's a paid service, and with an unwelcome change.

• pedrogarcia
    pedrogarcia
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also getting this horrible and unwanted forced upgrade nagging message to update to 1Password 7.4. I can't find a way to disable this crappy message.

• pedrogarcia
    pedrogarcia
    Community Member
    Options

We've only just got your email ~20m away and our staff is much smaller on the weekends.

You're saying that you pushed a major incompatible update of a critical security software to all your paid customers on a friday, up to a weekend, with a reduced support staff?

• MikeT
    edited March 2020
    Options

@pedrogarcia,

I'm also getting this horrible and unwanted forced upgrade nagging message to update to 1Password 7.4. I can't find a way to disable this crappy message.

You can dismiss the banner by clicking x on the right but there's no option to option out of the updates. As a critical security software, updates are required to keep improving the security in 1Password.

I presume you were able to get 1Password 7.3 installed and running now?

You're saying that you pushed a major incompatible update of a critical security software to all your paid customers on a friday, up to a weekend, with a reduced support staff?

It is not an incompatible update, majority of customers are using it right now without any serious issues and it has been tested extensively for more than a month with our public beta community. Yes, we know the interface adjustments may not be liked by some but it is not optional.

Our Windows team is working the weekend, our overall staff for all platforms is smaller on weekend, yes. Not all emails can be sorted quickly into Windows but we are replying to your posts as fast as possible.

[Updated to clarify a few things]

• pedrogarcia
    pedrogarcia
    Community Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

updates are required to keep improving the security in 1Password

UI updates are different from security updates.

I presume you were able to get 1Password 7.3 installed and running now?

Uninstalling still fails because of the chrome extension.

Yes, we know the interface adjustments may not be liked by some but it is not optional.

The word "adjustment" is dishonest euphemism that means downgrade.
    There's also a nagging update message shows up every time I open the app window. 1Password should provide a way for me to disable updates and update messages, or should provide a way for me to export and download my data.

The new 1Password version is not a welcome update, and the old version is nagging me every time.

• MikeT
    Options

@pedrogarcia,

Uninstalling still fails because of the chrome extension.

Can you clarify what you mean about the Chrome extension, what happened? I am not able to reproduce this issue with uninstalling with both versions but would love to see if we can fix it once we can reproduce it.

UI updates are different from security updates.

I generally agree but we didn't change the titlebar because of a design issue but because of actual technical limitations and we've gotten complaints that it doesn't work for some.

We do want to go back to a custom integrated titlebar in the near future if Microsoft does release an update to their upcoming UI frameworks. Hopefully, it won't be too long of a wait.

The word "adjustment" is dishonest euphemism that means downgrade.

I will choose my wording better next time but the interface changes do occur all the time for 1Password. We will continue to focus on simplifying and improving the look in every update based on our customers feedback as best as we can.

1Password should provide a way for me to disable updates and update messages, or should provide a way for me to export and download my data.

Just to be sure, make sure you turn off automatic install in 1Password menu > Settings > Updates.

You can select all items and right-click to export if you wish in 1Password right now.

I'll pass on your suggestion to have an option to disable updates to our team.

The new 1Password version is not a welcome update, and the old version is nagging me every time.

I'm sorry to hear that.

• pedrogarcia
    pedrogarcia
    Community Member
    Options

Can you clarify what you mean about the Chrome extension, what happened? I am not able to reproduce this issue with uninstalling with both versions but would love to see if we can fix it once we can reproduce it.

I can only uninstall 1Password after removing the google chrome 1Password extension. It just doesn't work, and I had to manually remove the google chrome extension, and then manually delete the folder "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\1Password".
    Otherwise, double clicking "uninstall" from control panel/settings would just launch 1Password.

we didn't change the titlebar because of a design issue but because of actual technical limitations

It worked on the previous version, so before it was not technical enough? The previous version was made out of what, magic?

You can select all items and right-click to export if you wish in 1Password right now.

Does not export attachments and documents.

automatic install in 1Password menu > Settings > Updates

This does not disable the incessant update nagging.

• MikeT
    Options

I can only uninstall 1Password after removing the google chrome 1Password extension. It just doesn't work, and I had to manually remove the google chrome extension, and then manually delete the folder

Thanks, we'll investigate, it is supposed to terminate the 1Password process that talks to the extension before uninstalling.

It worked on the previous version, so before it was not technical enough? The previous version was made out of what, magic?

It had a lot of problems such as snapping between monitors, resizing isn't smooth, missing system animations, doesn't resize between monitors properly. These were complaints sent to us and our investigations point out that these were known problems with using a custom title bar. So, we decided to remove the custom titlebar and leave it default as it'll be supported by Windows instead of us manually.

Does not export attachments and documents.

Correct, you'll have to manually download each one to disk. We're working to figure out the best way to do this in a future update, most likely an option to download all attachments first.

This does not disable the incessant update nagging.

That is correct, I just want to make sure you don't get installed to 7.4 by accident. There's no way to remove the nagging at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.