Tidy up a 1P account and sync an old iMac (1P6)

Options
mpi
mpi
Community Member

I have an account with 1P, and 1P 7 on my MacBook Air. I run 1P 6 on an iMac (El Capitan) which cannot be updated further. Up to now, and because I've used 1P for years, I've synced the two computers with DropBox. I'm now needing to introduce an iPad and an iPhone into the system, and the simplest thing is to get them connected directly to the account. But I've noticed an issue with the sync to the iMac.

My MBA has both a Personal and a Primary vault. I'm assuming that the Personal vault was created last year when I installed 1P7, and that 1P added to it the contents of the existing Primary Vault. Since then, new entries appear to have been added to the Personal vault, but not to the Primary vault. Since the iMac (1P 6) can only access the Primary vault, it is not in sync with recent entries. In addition, a vault I created a long time ago to hold my wife's stuff is listed under the Primary vault (in the Dropbox section of the sidebar) and the Personal vault in the Account section of the sidebar. They also appear to be getting out of sync.

I notice that when I first wanted to sync an iOS device, I was still on 1P 6 throughout, and set up a WLAN server in the preferences to do this. However, I have never attempted to use this properly, and I think it will be best to ditch it.

If it was only the MBA, iPad and iPhone, syncing through the account would be easy to accomplish. But my old iMac is an important part of the environment, and I can't see how to do the syncing both to the account and to the iMac. I haven't been able to find anything in the forums directly addressing this. Can you help, please?

Ta!

Martin

1Password Version: 7.4.3; 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6; 10.11.6, iOS 13, iOS 13
Sync Type: Account / Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mpi

We really can't recommend using a machine that cannot be updated, particularly if it is connected to the internet. That said, 1Password 6 for Mac should (for now) be able to sign into your 1Password account. There shouldn't be a "Primary" vault on any devices when using an account, so I'd recommend removing those:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

As for 1Password 6, it has been retired, and is no longer receiving updates. While as far as I'm aware at this point it should work with 1Password accounts, that may change in the future (and wouldn't be fixed).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• mpi
    mpi
    Community Member
    Options

Ah – if only Apple would stop making these devices that last such an insanely long time! Then I'd have an excuse to fork out £1200 on a new computer. As it is, my 10-year old iMac continues to serve brilliantly, and its 24" screen is a delight. I replaced the hard drive last year – apart from that it's running fine. I have ways of protecting it from internet threats. Mind you, it would be nice to be able to run MainStage 3…

Still, Ben, my memory was at fault. I thought my research had shown that 1P 6 could not access a 1P account. I was wrong. So that's the solution. I take your point about no support, no updates, and no accounts at some unspecified time in the future. But, pro tem, I can continue to use my El Capitan machine.

Thanks for your help,

Martin

• mpi
    mpi
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure if I should start a new thread or continue this one. Anyway…

I've ensured all my entries are in the two vaults synced to my 1Password accounts, and deleted the old Primary vault.

Problem – I cannot see "Categories" in the sidebar, and can't see anything in Preferences to ensure they are visible.Am I missing something?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mpi:

Problem – I cannot see "Categories" in the sidebar, and can't see anything in Preferences to ensure they are visible.Am I missing something?

Can you please post a screenshot of what you actually see in the sidebar? Thank you!

• mpi
    mpi
    Community Member
    Options

Well – I have a solution, but it's not entirely intuitive!
    (Hope the pictures show when I post this – so far they are just showing as URLs in this comment box)

Here is my account selected, with no sign of categories:

Here is my Private vault selected, with no sign of categories:

But if I select an account or vault in the list, and then toggle its name at the top of the window, the Watchtower, Categories and Tags sections appear:

Clicking that name at the top toggles between showing the accounts / vaults list and showing the Categories list. I can see why the designers might want to set it up that way, but I'm not sure its the best GUI I've ever seen.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mpi:

This is indeed the way the menu is designed right now, so I am glad you managed to get that sorted already. And we also appreciate your feedback on this, thank you for that!

This discussion has been closed.