1Password Win 7.4.750 - Locked window size/movement

Options

Hi,

I use the 1Password for Windows (desktop) app and since updating to 7.4.750, I'm finding it rather frustrating that the window disappears when locked and the size changes when locked vs unlocked. For example;

When I lock the program or come back after inactivity, the program window has minimised to the system tray. I then have to click to open the window again. In doing so this opens a small window in a random place on my screen, then when unlocked it opens the original sized application window somewhere else on the screen (never the original).

It was highly preferred to have the program remain the same size and not auto close to tray when locked. I've searched through settings and can't find any options that would let me choose what preference I'd like.

1Password Version: 7.4.750
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• The changes to the lock screen were made for the sake of compatibility with our new isolated process model, @JEnd2E . That said, it should still appear predictably – next to your cursor – and the main window's position should still be remembered after unlocking. Try as I might, I can't get 1Password to behave otherwise for me. The lock screen always shows by my cursor and the main window shows up in the same place every time.

Could you tell me a bit more about your display setup, perhaps? More than one monitor, maybe? Any window management software installed? Also, if you use the Ctrl + Shift + \ shortcut to bring up 1Password, does the lock screen (or the main window) display in a more predictable manner? This should help start narrowing things down. Thanks! :chuffed:

• JEnd2E
    JEnd2E
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate. Thanks for your thoughts.

When I use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + \ the unlock window appears wherever my cursor is. I tested placing my cursor in other areas of my monitors and it consistently launches the unlock window in the same place of the cursor. However, as soon as the program unlocks it instantly snaps to the top of the active monitor, this being whichever monitor the cursor is still on. No matter how many times I tried to change it's behaviour, it always opens the unlocked window near the top of the screen.

For example, if my cursor is at the bottom right hand corner of either of my monitors, I use the keyboard shortcut (as you suggested) to restore the window - this comes up at the exact location my cursor is. Once I've clicked OK to unlock with FaceID the window disappears then opens the unlocked 1Password window on the upper right hand corner. It's as if it remembers the horizontal location adjacent to my mouse but not the vertical location. As a result what tends to happen is that the unlocked window won't keep a persistent location, which is what I'd like to try and achieve. Previously the unlocked/locked window remained wherever I set it but instead I am always shuffling the 1Password window location as locking my Windows PC occurs frequently during the day.

My display setup consists of a Microsoft Surface and a HP EliteDisplay E272q. The main (default) monitor is the HP E272q. The Surface has a resolution of 2736x1824 and the HP 2560x1440.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @JEnd2E,

That's odd, I can't reproduce this.

Can you take a screenshot of your displays showing the primary/secondary setup like this:

When we were testing this, it turns out Windows gives us unreliable data when you flip it around, despite the location being the same.

If you put primary on the left and secondary on the right, does the main window still shift each time you unlock?

Just to be clear, if you press "Control + Shift + \" to bring up the main window and Alt + F4 to close it, does it consistently stay in the same spot without unlocking?

• JEnd2E
    JEnd2E
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

See screenshot below, my Surface is display 1 and HP monitor display 2.

That's correct, if the window remains locked it consistently stays in the same spot without unlocking. The issue is specifically when the window unlocks, which is when it moves location.

• puget_sounder
    puget_sounder
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I don't want to hijack the thread but I am having what appears to be the same problem with version 7.4.750 (win 10 pro 1909) so I thought some additional data might help; my monitor set up is as follows:

I keep the app window in the middle of the screen on monitor 2, and previously whenever I launch the program it would open there (and the dialog to type my password would appear there...IIRC). Now the unlock dialog appears near wherever I have the cursor which sounds like the expected behavior, but when my app window opens on monitor 2 it is positioned correctly vertically, but is halfway off the left edge of the screen horizontally.
    If I drag it to a random position on monitor 1 and close and then reopen it, it will open in the new position just like I'd expect.
    When I move it back where I want it on monitor 2 and close it and then reopen it, it will open at the correct vertical position (wherever I had dropped it) but will again be half way off the left edge of the monitor. I just measured, and it's not actually 'half way'; it's more like 40%.

• MikeT
    Options

@JEnd2E and @puget_sounder, can you guys email us your 1Password diagnostics report? We'd like to try a few things to see with you privately via emails if you can help.

Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• puget_sounder
    puget_sounder
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT, I have sent the report. Thanks for your help!

• JEnd2E
    JEnd2E
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT, I've now sent through the diagnostics report.

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks guys, we got your emails and replied to them.

• JEnd2E
    JEnd2E
    Community Member
    Options

Just to update this thread in case anyone else comes across this.

After speaking with Mike, a developer has identified the problem and resolved the issue on a development build. I suspect the update will be included in the next 1Password build. Thanks for all your help @MikeT

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thank you, @JEnd2E. 1Password Support, IMO, tends to be a bit hasty in shuffling users off to email and very much tardier in apprising those left behind of what issue was discovered and resolution, if any, applied.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JEnd2E:

On behalf of Mike, you are welcome! And thank you for your patience while we get to the bottom of this :)

This discussion has been closed.