QR Code scan from Screen

hmook
hmook
Community Member

Hi I'm trying to update some of the passwords in 1Password with 2FA. But for some reason I can only scan QR codes with the camera in my MacBook and not from the screen anymore.
The dropdown doesn't' work and when I right click and select from screen nothing seems to happen.

1Password Version: 7,4,4
Extension Version: evt
OS Version: 10,15,3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:qr code scan from screen

Comments

• @hmook

Are you using the Mac App Store version? If so, there have been changes to its behavior recently, for that version of the app.

It sounds like you are already aware of https://support.1password.com/screen-recording/ However, I wanted to include it here for others who may find the topic.

• BjoernKW
    BjoernKW
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem on both of my machines with 1Password downloaded and updated through the App Store. I've only just realised this today. 1Password has Screen Recording permissions.

• @BjoernKW

It is no longer possible for the App Store version of 1Password to look at your screen for QR codes. Instead you would need to download 1Password directly from us. App Store apps are only allowed to use the Screen Recording permission for actual screen recording applications, not for reading QR codes. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

• hmook
    hmook
    Community Member

Hi @Ben ,

I've installed the 1Password version from 1password.com not from the AppStore. Unfortunately I didn't get promoted for Screen Recording permissions. Also if I go to system prefs. I cannot enable 1Password there. Is there another way to enable this?

BR Hanno

• @hmook

Not that I'm aware of. What difficulty are you having when trying to enable 1Password under Screen Recording in the System Preferences?

Ben

• hmook
    hmook
    Community Member

1Password wasn’t an application mentioned there. Reboot did the job.

• djvanenckevort
    djvanenckevort
    Community Member

@Ben I ran into the issue that the App Store version can't scan. Please can you make this clear in the app itself, or remove the option from the App Store version of the app. It is very unfriendly to be offered an option that doesn't work. Of course I do also want Apple to allow you to offer this functionality in the App Store version.

• Thanks for the update @hmook.

@djvanenckevort We're working on updating the QR code screen to make it more evident that the code should be dragged and dropped onto that screen, instead of trying to use it as a scanner, when using the App Store version.

Ben

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member

ah, thanks! i've been tricked also for quite some time. understanding now.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I am glad to hear it @godbout :) Let us know if you have any other questions!

• ssh
    ssh
    Community Member

Note: I am running the beta, and when I went to scan for the first time, there was no obvious prompt for permission to capture the screen. I had to dig around (and actually quit 1P) before I found it and realized why it wasn't working. Is there any way the QR Code scanner could communicate the missing permissions with a link to fix the issue?

• Hey @ssh. I'll certainly make mention of this to our development team to see if there is anything we can do to improve the visibility of this. Thanks for the feedback.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.