1pasword Desktop doesn't show

1st problem:
Since a few days - possibly after the last update - 1password doesn't show up after starting it. The taskmanager shows the 1password process but there is no 1password window. After killing the process with the taskmanager and starting 1password again, it works.

2nd problem:
there is no password filling on a web site while pressing Ctrl-. after booting Win 10. It longs at least 2 or 3 minutes after booting until the automatic filling works again. This problem occurs since a few days as well
Clicking the small 1password icon appearing in the uid or password field on a login page works
This problem occurs in Firefox 72.0.1 (64bit) and Chrome 80.0.3987.132 (64-Bit)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards
Dieter

1Password Version: 7.4.753
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 1903 Build 18362.30
Sync Type: 1password Cloud

Comments

• To start, @Dieter59, could you let me know what 1Password extension you are using? It sounds like 1Password X based on that Ctrl + . shortcut, but better to ask. If you right-click the 1Password icon in your browser, it will show your extension's full name in the context menu. Let me know what that says.

As for the main app, how are you starting it? 1Password generally starts in the background automatically so it wouldn't show you the main window right away. You'd need to bring it up either by Ctrl + clicking on the icon in your notification area or pressing the Ctrl + Shift + \ keyboard shortcut and unlocking from there. With that said, we did make some changes to how 1Password comes up under certain circumstances in order to ensure compatibility with our new isolated process model, so that certainly could have changed the behavior you're used to depending on how you typically start using 1Password. If you can give me a rundown of what you normally do, that will help me determine whether that behavior might have changed and help me clear things up.

I'd also give that Ctrl + Shift + \ a try next time you think 1Password should be coming up but isn't. Unlock if you need to and let me know if that brings it up. That will let us know whether 1Password is actually starting/displaying properly at all so we can rule out something like a crash or a driver issue preventing UI from displaying properly. :+1:

• Dieter59
    Dieter59
    Community Member

Thanx for your fast response!
    I use 2 browsers (Firefox and Chrome) in Chrome 1password 4.7.5.90 is installed. In Firefox I've two extensions (is that correct?) 1. the 4.7.5.90 AND 1password X 1.15.7. Should I remove one of them?
    I start the main app by clicking the icon in the taskbar or by double clicking the icon on the desktop. That works in most cases but not always, Ctrl-click works, Ctrl-Shift-\ is a problem because I'm using a German keyboard layout and the "\" needs the AltGr key being pressed - Ctrl-Shift-AltGr- \ doesn't work. Is there a possibility to Change that to an other key combination?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dieter59,

You can change the keyboard shortcuts for our companion extension (not 1Password X) in 1Password 7 for Windows:

1Password X is a different type of 1Password extension and it works separately from 1Password 7. You can use it separately from the app, learn more here:

Get to Know 1Password X

Let us know how the shortcut works for you after changing it. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Dieter59
    Dieter59
    Community Member

Changing the shortcut didn't help. By the way, if you try to change the shortcut in 1password x to "Ctrl-#" - which is my shortcut since years - it doesn't work.

• One thing that can be trouble with Windows, @Dieter59, is choosing shortcuts that aren't otherwise taken. Windows will apparently allow you to choose one that's utilized elsewhere (much to my surprise), but depending on how it's used where behavior could be unpredictable to say the least. That said, if you can share the shortcut you want to use instead of Ctrl + Shift + \, I can certainly check it out and, if it doesn't work, try to figure out why.

On the 1Password X front, I suspect that isn't working because you've got both extensions installed in one browser. Ctrl + # is trying to open 1Password X and fill using the companion extension at the same time. I'd disable one to be safe. 1Password X also is more limited in the shortcuts it can accept because the browser will block you from choosing an extension it already uses. Ctrl + \ is taken, I believe, so our typical shortcut for the extension wasn't an option. In Chrome, we chose Ctrl + Shift + X, but that's taken in Firefox, hence the Ctrl + .. So, as you can probably see, it can be a bit of an adventure finding one that works, but you have some options all the same. Hopefully Ctrl + # is fine and I'm right it's just the two extension getting into a fight keeping it from working out. :+1:

• Dieter59
    Dieter59
    Community Member

Thank you for the explanation. The shortcuts were my 2nd problem, that is solved now.
    Back to my 1st problem that I can describe a little bit better after watching the behaviour a longer time. I unlock 1password initially with the first website in which I want to log in. That works fine. A few seconds later I try to login to a second site and nothing happens. As that occurs the first times I tried to do several things like opening 1password desktop, which doesn't work, tried to open 1password by clicking on the extension icon in the browser, which doesn't work...now I tried that again but didn't do anything after the 2nd time of trying to log in. And then after about 1 or 2 minutes (not seconds!) 1password works again. I tried that a 2nd time with an open task manager window but you see nothing, not more cpu or memory or network usage. Possibly the virus scanner is the problem but I can't disable it because it's an office PC. Any ideas?

• tonystarkdo
    tonystarkdo
    Community Member

I have the same problem, and it has lasted for a month.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020

Hi @Dieter59,

This is indeed quite strange! The next time 1Password extension stops working in your browser, could you please check if 1Password 7 is opened and running on your computer? Thanks!

==

@tonystarkdo: The behaviour you described in your discussion is quite different, so I am not sure that your issue is similar. Could you please share a diagnostics report from your PC, as Mike requested in his reply to you?

This report will be really helpful and we will take a closer look. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• Dieter59
    Dieter59
    Community Member

Yes, 1password 7 is running. The problem occurs every time after the first login. The first login always works imidiately, the 2nd is delayed by at least 1 minute

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dieter59,

I have an idea of what is going on. Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. We will take a look. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Thanks in advance! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.