Safari Extension not working?

BlueSwitch
BlueSwitch
Community Member

Hello. I run 1Password 7.4.2 on my Mac (from the Mac App Store). I'm a paid subscriber of 1Password.com. I have the Safari Extension installed and activated. The button is visible in the toolbar. But clicking it does not open anything. Since some times already; don't know what happened. Some times, I get a system notification that I shall activate the extension. Clicking the notification opens 1Password app but to nowhere specifically. Anyway, looking at Preferences > Browsers, the Extension Helper is checked. How can I fix that? Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: 7.4.4
OS Version: macOS 10.15.3
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Hi @BlueSwitch

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with Safari. Please try these instructions:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• hdittmer
    hdittmer
    Community Member

I will not let me drag 1Password to the trash giving message "The item “1Password 7” can’t be moved to the Trash because some of its extensions are in use."

• @hdittmer

And you had quit Safari (step 1) at that point? Is this a shared computer? Is anyone else logged in?

Ben

• BlueSwitch
    BlueSwitch
    Community Member

@hdittmer

Hello. I had the same issue while trying to trash 1Password, while I had quit 1P and Safari.

What you need to do before trashing is go to Preferences > Browsers in 1P and uncheck "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running". Then you'll be able to trash the app. Don't forget to re-activate the Helper after reinstalling as it will remember your setting (unchecked).

@Ben

Thanks! The Safari Extension now works again. So, I'm not using the Mac App Store version and I should update regularly from the 1P app, right? The App Store will not keep the app updated for me?

• BlueSwitch
    BlueSwitch
    Community Member

Ah nice, there is auto-check and auto-install of updates. Great! Thanks.

• @BlueSwitch

Interesting. We'll have to keep an eye out for that. Turning that setting off was not necessary previously, but perhaps something has changed recently. Glad to hear you're back up and running. :)

Ben

• Michek
    Michek
    Community Member

I have the same problem. The extension does not open when I click on a password field, when I click on the button in the menu bar of Safari, nothing happens.

I tried the uninstall/install procedure described above - without success.

I let Safari start automatically when I restart my Mac.

The problem disappears briefly when I close the Safari once and reopen it again. If I restart the Mac once and the Safari automatically restarts, the problem is present again.

The only thing that helps for a certain time is to disable the extension, restart the Mac and then enable the extension in Safari again. But after a certain time the error is back.

This is really annoying and it would be great if you fix it!

• Hi @Michek

The next time the extension gets into a non-working state, try to activate it, note the time, and then send us a diagnostic report. To create a report on your Mac please see this guide:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/557579/#Comment_557579
    • Your forum username: Michek
    • The time that you noted just after trying to activate the extension

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• Michek
    Michek
    Community Member

Ok, I‘ll do that.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• Michek
    Michek
    Community Member

Now it's working for several times now.

Don't worry, I'll be back...

• Fair enough. :)

Ben

• Michek
    Michek
    Community Member

Hi Ben!

I did it the way you described above.

Support ID: [#ESZ-41679-611]

Many greetings
    Michek

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Michek:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: Someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: ESZ-41679-611

• Michek
    Michek
    Community Member

Thx ag_ana!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• ett2
    ett2
    Community Member

Hello,
    I think I am having the same problem as @BlueSwitch and @Michek.
    It started after I updated 1 Password 7 a couple of weeks ago. The cmd\ does not bring up 1PW, the mini does not open, and the Safari browser extension does not work. I have been copy and pasting PWs form the 1Password 7 app.

I'm a paid subscriber of 1Password.com
    Version 7.5 (70500002)
    Mac App Store
    Safari: Version 13.1.1 (14609.2.9.1.3)
    Mac OS 10.14.6
    I have not initiated any of the other suggestions above yet. Thanks for any advice.

• @ett2

I'm sorry for the difficulty. Please try the instructions here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/551689/#Comment_551689

Thanks.

Ben

• Michek
    Michek
    Community Member

Hi ett2

For me it helps for a short time if I deactivate the extension in Safari, restart Safari and reactivate the extension.

But this is only a temporary story, after the next reboot the problem is often back. I am still in contact with the 1 Password team "offline" and we haven't found a solution yet.

I would be interested if you let Safari start automatically after starting MacOS. There might be a conflict, depending on what is started first, Safari or 1Password.

Cheers,
    Michek

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update. We will continue trying to get to the bottom of this together :+1:

• ett2
    ett2
    Community Member

Thanks @ben and @michek. I tried to follow Ben's directions, but I could not trash the app. Today, the preference, status app, and the cmd \ works. Not sure why. But anyway it works now. And I figured out why I couldn't trash the app - I had to right click on app in the Status Menu and Quit 1PW completely - I previously thought when I quit the 1PW app, it quit everything.
    Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @ett2! I am glad to hear that things are working again for you :)

This discussion has been closed.