Sync Errors on Windows

liligeng111
liligeng111
Community Member
edited March 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi:

So today I have been updating a lot of passwords. Everything works fine excepts that my Facebook login won't sync.
It is probably one of the first things I updated and everything else seems syncing fine with my phone and other device.

I waited a couple of hours and the problem does not seem to go away. Here is a screen shot from Windows

Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 7.4.753
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1909
Sync Type: I am not sure what this is.
Referrer: forum-search:sync errors

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @liligeng111,

Thank you for reaching out!

Please try to re-edit that item on 1Password.com in the browser and save it. After that, lock and unlock 1Password 7 for Windows and check if the issue remains. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• liligeng111
    liligeng111
    Community Member

Hi Greg:

That trick works. Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@liligeng111:

On behalf of Greg, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• oldmankit
    oldmankit
    Community Member

I have a similar issue, except there are 59 errors. (I was bulk editing tags.)

I clicked on the first item with a sync error, and note there was a button next to edit that said "restore". I clicked it, and now I have 1 x offline changes and still 59 sync errors. The 'restore' button has gone.

I don't mind doing the tag edits again, but I can't even fix one out of 59, let alone the whole lot.

• oldmankit
    oldmankit
    Community Member

1Password for Windows v 7.4.767

• Are you able to do the same thing Greg suggested above, @oldmankit? Sign in to 1Password.com, try just editing and saving one of those items in the web app and saving it. See if that resolves the issue for that item. If it does, repeat for the others. I know, that does leave you touching tons of items individually (sorry!), but the reason we've seen this happening is because apparently a rather old version of 1Password has missed some syncs for some folks and got the item versions in the Windows app out of sync with the server so the server is (properly) rejecting those changes as being older than what it's got. This process kicks everything back into gear and should avoid similar issues in the future as, so far as we can tell, this isn't the result of a current problem, but rather an old one that flew under the radar and should be sorted for these items after correcting this once.

• oldmankit
    oldmankit
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate Thanks for reaching out to help me and explaining the issue. I made a small change on the web app to one of the "Sync Errors" items, pressed save, and note that the change is synced to my 1password Windows app. However it is still listed as a 'sync error'.

To test this, I made another small change to the item in question in the Windows app, and it does not get synced to the web app (after page refresh)…so there really is a sync error.

• Well now that doesn't make any sense at all, @oldmankit. If there is a successful sync from the web app would have to fix it. At that point, both apps necessarily have the same data so it would at least clear for that time. As a first step, try restarting 1Password for Windows – choose 1Password > Exit, then open it up again. It could be that did correct things for that item, but there was a refresh problem in the Windows app making it appear as though the issue stuck. If that doesn't help, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread in case someone else sees it before I do.

As yet, we've not seen anyone actually trigger this issue in the latest version of 1Password – all such problems have been traceable to prior versions of the desktop app just happening to start causing trouble now – but if that change really did sync down from the web and that item still ended up back in an error state, I think that may count as being the latest's fault and hopefully the diagnostics will gives us some clues about how to reproduce it ourselves so we can get it fixed up. Thanks!

• WillemSpierenburg
    WillemSpierenburg
    Community Member

Hi, exactly the same problem as @oldmankit here. When changing something on the web-app, the change is synced to the Windows (and IOS) app, but the sync error remains.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@WillemSpierenburg:

Have you followed the instructions in Kate's post above yours already?

• WillemSpierenburg
    WillemSpierenburg
    Community Member

Yes, I did. I even restarted my laptop and reopened 1Password. No effect whatsoever. I didn’t send in the diagnostics report. Would that be of any help?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@WillemSpierenburg:

Yes please, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you. After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• WillemSpierenburg
    WillemSpierenburg
    Community Member

@ag_ana

E-mail is sent. I've added a link to this discussion. I did not receive a ticket number yet. As soon as I got it, I'll post it!

Thanks in advance!

• WillemSpierenburg
    WillemSpierenburg
    Community Member

@ ag_ana

This is the ticket number: IFD-58147-349

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @WillemSpierenburg! I have located your message in the system. We will look at your report and someone will get back to you via email as soon as possible :+1:

ref: IFD-58147-349

• lakethegreat
    lakethegreat
    Community Member

I'm having a similar (or identical?) issue. I noticed yesterday that I had 2 Sync Errors in the Windows app. Both were from changes I made within the last few weeks - one a secure note and the other a login. Followed the suggestions above with the secure note to edit from the browser then lock/unlock Windows app. That duplicated the note in the Win app, with the top half the browser-edited (but not current) version, followed by a ===, followed by the current version. I then edited the secure note to remove the old text and now I have Offline Changes = 1 and the browser app not showing the latest version yet.
    Would it be helpful for me to send in a diagnostic report?

1Password Version: 7.4.767
    Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
    OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1909

• It sounds like you have cleared one offline change, @lakethegreat – is that correct? If so, could you tell me which item has been cleared out at this point? Sounds like it's probably the Login, but you didn't say specifically, so better to check. Thanks. :+1:

• lakethegreat
    lakethegreat
    Community Member

Thanks for the response! When I first noticed the issue, I had zero Offline Changes and two Sync Errors. Now, after attempting to edit the secure note in the browser, I have one Offline Change and two Sync Errors. The single Offline Change is the secure note. I have not tried modifying the login yet.

By the way, I have created and modified many secure notes and logins since I noticed the two sync errors and they (the new notes/logins) are syncing properly. So the issue seems to be related solely to this one secure note and one login. I bet I could easily delete and recreate them, but wasn't sure if I ought to be doing something else to clear the errors.

• For the Secure Note, @lakethegreat, could you make that same edit on the web so the two match? Do try the Login too and see what happens. I think this probably is the same issue and if I'm right none of this will work, but I haven't quite managed to track down when that edit works and when it doesn't. It definitely has worked in the past too so there's a chance it will in this case as well.

• lakethegreat
    lakethegreat
    Community Member

Certainly. So to be clear, here's what I have right now...

Secure note in Win app:
    (text modified ~May 27th)

Secure note in web browser:
    (text prior to May 27th modification)

Now I add "hello world" text to the bottom of the secure note in the web browser. Lock/unlock Win app. Now I have this...

Secure note in Win app:
    hello world
    = = =

Secure note in web browser:
    hello world

The Win app still has the secure note showing up in Offline Changes and Sync Errors. Does that make sense? For what it's worth, any other secure note I modify - either in Win app or web browser - appropriately syncs immediately to the other platform. It appears to just be this one secure note that is having issues.

Just as a test, I copied the (text modified ~May 27th) from the Win app and pasted it into the web browser secure note so that the two notes match exactly. Hit save in web browser, lock/unlock Win app. The Win app again shows:
    = = =

• speedysk1
    speedysk1
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue. I've tried the suggestions listed here, restarted PC, etc as well. No dice. Interestingly the last modified time on the item in the app is reflecting the time I changed it in the browser. I made another change in the browser, and the app nearly immediately updated with the new modified time. The changes however from the browser are not being reflected in the app.

• lakethegreat
    lakethegreat
    Community Member

If I edit the secure note on the web, the Win app will then have:
    (text edited in browser)
    = = =
    (text that was in Win app)

So it duplicates it and puts three equals signs between them. The web does not show the equals sign or the lower portion of text. And the secure note still shows up in both Offline Changes and Sync Errors.

For what it's worth, all other secure notes are updating fine in both directions. Just seems to be this one note...

• Yea, that sounds like a conflict that's persisting no matter what we do here, @lakethegreat. I'd wager recreating the note is going to be the best path forward, but let's cross some Ts and dot Is right quick before taking that path. Could you shoot me over a diagnostics report, @lakethegreat? Instructions are up in this comment. Gonna be a late day for me today so I'll probably be the one to catch it, but include a link to this thread just in case. I'll have the server guys confirm this is the same old thing and, assuming that proves to be the case, we'll fix this one item up and hopefully that'll be the end of this.

Same thing for you too, @speedysk1. Send over a diagnostics and we'll take a look.

We are working on figuring out what's causing all of this in the first place, too, so I don't want to sound like I'm blowing it off and just fixing symptoms. We totally are looking at some changes to make it stop happening for good, it's just that we've got enough examples and (I think) a good enough understanding that the value in wasting y'all's time with too much extra digging isn't that great at this stage. So, we've got an in-depth investigation going on behind the scenes and I'm try to get the folks doing that the most help I can, but ultimately y'all need to get back to work, so I'm trying my best to strike that balance.

• oldmankit
    oldmankit
    Community Member

My support ID is [#GVJ-76279-216]

Thanks for the help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@oldmankit:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will look at it and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: GVJ-76279-216

• lakethegreat
    lakethegreat
    Community Member

Just sent the diagnostic report: [#WHT-34769-794]

I'm happy to just recreate the troublesome items, but I don't mind sending the logs either to help you track down the issue!

• Thanks so much, @lakethegreat! I'll make sure to add your report to the issue I have filed for our development team. I'm also going to just drop you a quick reply via email to let you know I've done so. That way, if you have any trouble sorting things out, you can just reply to my email and we can get things fixed up. :+1:

• ckeck
    ckeck
    Community Member

I've been dealing with the very same issue for some time now.

As others have noted, I can edit the item (a secure note in my case) in the browser, but the sync issue will persist. The timestamp does update in 1Password for Windows with the time I made the edit in the browser.

Hopefully there has been some progress with the investigation, as this has been quite a frustrating issue.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ckeck,

Could you please give the latest beta a try and let us know if the issue remains there?

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.