Error ID: opw-db-711, error constantly pops up, can't open 1Password on desktop or uninstall

Options

Hello.

I'm running 1Password over multiple devices. Today when I logged into my Windows 10 desktop and tried to use 1Password to generate a web login password for one of my gaming accounts, an error box popped up, and kept popping up multiple times, no matter how many times I closed it.

The error says "Your 1Password data is not compatible with this 1Password version. Error ID: opw-db-711"

I had to disable 1Password from the startup and disable it in my Firefox browser to get the error to go away. I tried to uninstall 1Password from the desktop, to see if reinstalling would fix the issue, but when I go to uninstall, the popup window appears. It keeps popping up over itself and whatever else, every few seconds, until I've got a bunch of them.

I'm unable to open the program to tell you what version I'm running.

My other devices are an old Mac mini and my Android phone. I haven't tried the app in either, for fear of it doing something similar to those devices.

I did a google search and a forum search for the error, but nothing is coming up that is helpful.

I would very much like some insight from support on this issue, as I'm now going to be locked out of this gaming account, because I won't be able to access my new generated password.

I've made no changes to this computer since the last time I used the 1Password software, unless Windows 10 forced some updates.

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:opw-de-711

Comments

• This means that you've recently updated to the latest 1Password and then downgraded to an older version that can't read its database, @HiH4t. The cases of this I've seen before have been the result of folks opening 1Password via the installer for that older version or a shortcut to same. Now, I'm not saying this is exactly what you did – it's just my experience so far. So, first things first, if you install the latest, that should clear this up:

https://1password.com/downloads/windows/

Don't open your current 1Password and don't uninstall it (you don't need to). Just download the latest installer and run it. Feel free to stop here and let me know if that doesn't help.

Assuming this does help, we'll also want to figure out how you're getting that old version back. Until we do that, try to only open 1Password using the Ctrl + Shift + \ shortcut or by clicking the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar. This way, you'll be guaranteed not to be accidentally accessing an old installer instead of your installed app. About the only thing I can say for certain about the underlying cause is that it's likely something you're clicking that's linking to an installer rather than 1Password itself. Do you have an icon on your desktop you use to open 1Password? Maybe one pinned to your taskbar? A shortcut somewhere? Let me know and I'll help confirm where that icon or shortcut is pointing, get rid of it and the installer it links to, and get you set up with a new one that will always point to the right place. :+1:

• HiH4t
    HiH4t
    Community Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Kate.

I managed to fix the issue prior to seeing your reply. Your solution is correct.

I tried installing a new desktop app from a fresh download off the site and that fixed it. I must have had the old installer on the desktop still and clicked it by accident.

Thank you for the prompt response.

Cheers!

• It's no trouble at all, @HiH4t! I just want 1Password working well for y'all so if you beat me to a solution I'm all the happier. :chuffed: I'm glad you were able to sort it and if I can do anything more to help, I'll be here.

This discussion has been closed.