Unable to update 1Password 7

When I boot up my Windows 10 computer, version 1909, I get the message, "1Password couldn't complete its install. Your 1 Password folder is in use or is read-only. Check the permissions of the 1Password directory and close other programs that may be using that folder." When I select the Retry button below this message, I get the same message. If I select the Cancel button, I get the message, "1Password was unable to complete installation and will roll back any changes." I do not know how to fix this problem. I do not know how to check the permissions of the 1Password directory and if other programs are using that folder. Any help or directions would be very appreciated.

1Password Version: 7.4.753
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Home Version 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Unable to update 1Password 7

Comments

• Do you happen to use Malwarebytes, @cabinyew? Most folks running into this do, but there are those running into separate issues. If you do use Malwarebytes, check for updates to Malwarebytes, install them, and reboot. That should allow 1Password to update. If you use different security software, let me know what it is and I'd be happy to help you sort this out as best I can. :+1:

• cabinyew
    cabinyew
    Community Member

Thank you for your prompt reply. I do use Malwarebytes and found there is a new update available. I will install the Malwarebytes update and hope that resolves the problem. Thank you again for your assistance

• bigdippertiger
    bigdippertiger
    Community Member

I also use Malwarebytes and found that upgrading it and then going back to 1P update and it updated successfully. However, there was ANOTHER update for Malwarebytes a few days later as well as an update to 1P v 7.4.758 and it is doing the same thing. I'd really, really hate for this to happen every single time either of these apps are updated. Any suggestions to avoid this hassle would be greatly appreciated.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@cabinyew:

On behalf of bundtkdate, you are welcome! And sounds good, let us know how it goes :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bigdippertiger:

So far we know that updating Malwarebytes helps resolve this, so hopefully this will be enough in the future. Let us know if you continue seeing this though.

• woolly1028
    woolly1028
    Community Member

I have been having the same issue for a few weeks and it is getting very annoying.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@woolly1028:

Have you updated Malwarebytes to the latest version already? If you did, please also make sure to reboot once.

• Funglin
    Funglin
    Community Member

It has happened to me recently, and this morning, I got caught in a continuous loop of the error message below. I rebooted and then installed a Malwarebytes update, and the problem is gone. Really annoying, and hopefully the two apps an coexist a little better at some point, in terms of updating.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Funglin:

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that updating Malwarebytes solved the issue for you too.

• cabinyew
    cabinyew
    Community Member

After installing the current Malwarebytes update, 1Password 7 successfully updated itself and is running like a charm. Thank you again for your help, Bundtkate.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of bundtkate, you are welcome @cabinyew! Thank you for the update :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member

I am running into this same issue. I tried to uninstall and now it won't let me even install. Same errors as others - "in use or read only". I do NOT have Malwarebytes installed. Just plain old windows defender. What should I do?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@steve28:

Can you please make sure that there are no Windows Defender updates left in Windows Update?

• Viktor_withaK
    Viktor_withaK
    Community Member

Same issue for me, and I don't have Malwarebytes. (McAfee is up to date.) I tried uninstalling 1Password hoping to reinstall it, but now I can't even do that! (Thankfully, 1Password X still works.)

• @steve28 – There are two other things (though less common) that can lead to this error. One is either web browsers or even something like file Explorer being open and keeping 1Password running. Close any browsers, close Explorer windows and try again. If you use Microsoft Edge, updating it may help.

The other is that one of your 1Password folders could be read-only. This is extremely rare, but it happens. If the above suggestion doesn't work, please drop us an email at support+windows@1password.com so we can take a closer look. There are a few things to check in these cases so it's better to work through them via email. :+1:

I'd actually suggest you try the steps listed in my first paragraph as well, @Viktor_withaK. While it could be McAfee locking your folders, McAfee is a fairly common anti-malware solution and I've not seen it causing trouble with this round of updates. We're not infallible, but generally we'd have noticed any AV trending towards trouble by this point in the game so I'm reluctant to place blame at its feet. If those steps don't work, let me know.

• garaux
    garaux
    Community Member

To anyone still encountering this issue who also uses MalwareBytes, there is an unsafe workaround. If you're like me, you don't want to see the 1Password updater error dialog box pop up continuously for days at a time until MalwareBytes issues an update. I've found that temporarily disabling Exploit protection and Ransomware protection in MB will allow the update to proceed.

This is obviously not recommended by anyone, ever, but if you're tired of waiting for these 2 apps to sync up on how to establish updates in a safe way... you have options. If you are concerned about the security of disabling these protections on the same computer that you have 1Password installed on, then you might want to consider switching to 1Password on a phone or dedicated vm / device. I'm almost to that point myself.

Not pointing fingers - I'm a long time fan of both products and have used them both for years. Hopefully they find a way to update the update procedure to cause less false positives.

• Have you updated Malwarebytes and rebooted, @garaux? There was some suggestion that whitelisting the 1Password folder (adding it to the Allow List in Malwarebytes) may be necessary, but my experience thus far has shown that if this is solely the issue with Malwarebytes, updating Malwarebytes and rebooting sorts it out. Malwarebytes fixed this fairly early on and I have yet to see any reports of issues after updating. A few have missed the reboot and that's caused some trouble, but everyone I've worked with that has done both has found things fully sorted.

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member

@ag_ana there was a Windows Defender update, and also the 1909 update to install... once I did all of that, I was able to update. Thanks!

• Glad you were able to get things sorted, @steve28! Enjoy and stay safe out there. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.