1Password installed been working fine but now getting "1Password couldn't complete it's install"?

Options

Been using 1Password for about six months tried to open yesterday in Firefox and its stuck in a cycle of "1Password couldn't complete it's install" and then trying to roll back changes before the same message is displayed??

1Password Version: 4.7.5.90
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Laptop
Referrer: forum-search:1Password installed been working fine but now getting "1Password couldn't complete it's install"?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi @bigjmc! Welcome to the forum!

Are you by chance using Malwarebytes on this Windows PC?

• Joad29
    Joad29
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue and have have malwarebytes installed. what need to be done to complete the install?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Joad29:

If you are using Malwarebytes, please check for updates, install them, and reboot your PC once. 1Password should be able to finish updating now.

• bigjmc
    bigjmc
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I am and have done as you suggested, problem solved! Thanks very much hadn't thought of malwarebytes causing issues but now I put my brain in gear......

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @bigjmc! I am glad to hear that my suggestion worked :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• stevedingle
    stevedingle
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem but it did not go away with a reboot. I have updated Malwarebytes to the current version, 4.1.0.56. I added the 1password folder location to the allow list. I still get the message '1Password couldn't complete an update. Click here again to try again.' I get a popup window that says 1Password couldn't complete it's update. I have tried this with web browsers closed also.

• Did you reboot after updating Malwarebytes, @stevedingle? In this specific instance, order does matter. The update is required to keep Malwarebytes from blocking 1Password's update and the reboot is required to get it to release its lock on 1Password's files. If you've not rebooted since updating Malwarebytes, give your PC one more quick reboot and see if that helps.

If you've already rebooted since updating Malwarebytes or that doesn't sort things out for you, check for any pending Windows updates. Windows itself can actually hang on to some of 1Password's files when there are pending Windows updates (my best theory is something related to .NET since that's a Windows-provided resource we rely on). Open Windows Update, click "check for updates", install any available and reboot when Windows tells you to, then try updating 1Password again.

Let me know if any of this helps. :+1:

• stevedingle
    stevedingle
    Community Member
    Options

I was successful and am up to date at 7.4.767. I did a Windows update and installed two pending updates, then rebooted. It worked. Thank you for your help.
    Steve

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @stevedingle, that's great to hear :)

This discussion has been closed.