Is my 1Password data being backed up?

gkgriffith
gkgriffith
Community Member

I am trying to understand if and how 1Password backups up my 1P data.

On the 1Password Support Site I read "Your 1Password account is backed up automatically ... every day." Is this still the case for 1Password 7.4.3? The support site says that "Backup" should be selectable in 1Password from File > Backup. It also says that from 1P Preferences I should be able to select "Backups" in order see where the backup files are kept, however, I find no tab for "Backups."

In a 1P Support Forum thread it says that 1P backups are stored in this location: /home/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups. When I look in that location I find 39 backup files dated between 10/13/18 and 1/18/19. What does it mean that there are no more recent backup files stored in that folder?

Perhaps the answer to my questions related to the fact that I use a Family Account??

Please help me to understand how 1Password backs up data.

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 7.4.3
OS Version: macOS 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gkgriffith!

Perhaps the answer to my questions related to the fact that I use a Family Account??

That's correct :)

On the 1Password Support Site I read "Your 1Password account is backed up automatically ... every day." Is this still the case for 1Password 7.4.3?

Yes, every 1Password account is backed up automatically.

The support site says that "Backup" should be selectable in 1Password from File > Backup. It also says that from 1P Preferences I should be able to select "Backups" in order see where the backup files are kept, however, I find no tab for "Backups."

That's only for local vault backups. If you are using a 1Password account, which has automatic backups, that option is not present in the Preferences because 1Password is doing all the work for you, so you don't have to do anything manually :)

• gkgriffith
    gkgriffith
    Community Member

Thanks! That’s very helpful...
    How often are backups saved and far back in time to I have backups available?
    And if I do need to restore from a backup, how do I do that?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gkgriffith:

How often are backups saved and far back in time to I have backups available?

Every time you make a change to an item, that change is saved to the item's history, and you can go back in time for 365 days. Should you require a more general restore, please feel free to reach out to us and we will help you with it.

• gkgriffith
    gkgriffith
    Community Member

OK. Thanks again!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @gkgriffith! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.