How do I disable the automatic closing of the 1PW window

Options

Not everything I do is in a browser, I often need to copy passwords to the clipboard to paste into other applications, I keep them in my favorites and keep the 1PW window open, and just let it go to the lock screen, where I can just hit the Windows Hello button to open it up, grab the PW I need and go about my business.

At least that's how things were.

Recently a change caused the 1PW window to close EVERY time it locks and force me to go down to the task bar, right click, choose the app, unlock from there, reopen the window as if it was just opened, make me find the PW I need again instead of just being there like it used to, THEN get the password.

Before: Click Windows Hello button, click ok, click copy, 3 steps
After: Right click icon on taskbar, click on app, click on ok for hello, search for PW I need, click copy, 6 steps, way more mouse work.

Don't close the application for me, I'm the user, I'll let you know when I'm done with you, you don't get to decide. Locking is fine, I can control if I want to disable that, I don't want to (I have extended it as long as possible, but I don't want to, 10 minutes was fine the old way), but I want the window there and ready for me.

Where is the option to disable this awful "feature" or what version do I have to roll back to to get rid of it and when will you add an option to not use this awful "feature"?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jason_G!

What version of the 1Password app are you currently using?

• Jason_G
    Jason_G
    Community Member
    Options

7.4.758, which I assume is the latest because I was told it just updated

• This behavior change is here to stay, @Jason_G. This was done for compatibility with our new separated process model which allows for better memory management and prompt clearing of secrets from memory when 1Password is locked. When 1Password locks, the process that controls that main window quits completely and is replaced with a new unlock process that waits in the background until you need 1Password again. Whenever you need it, you can summon it, unlock and be right back where you were before 1Password locked. It looks and feels very different, but I've found most folks find it's not quite so different as it appears after an adjustment period. With that said, everyone uses 1Password differently. There could well be specific circumstances where adjustments are still needed. This can absolutely still be a shorter process (3 steps, by my count), but if things aren't quite working as I describe in your case, let me know. We will definitely be improve things moving forward so this process gets in the way as little as possible.

So, without further ado, here's what should get you right back to three steps:

1. Ctrl + Shift + \
    2. Complete Hello (no clicking, because it comes up automatically)
    3. Your window is restored to the same state it was in before locking, so copy and go.

Give it a try and, if something isn't quite working the way you'd like, let me know. We won't be able to bring back the exact workflow we had previously, but we can still tweak the new ways to make them work better for you. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.