Safari created a strong password for this website

Options
jgs
jgs
Community Member

As everyone probably knows, Safari's default behavior when it sees what it thinks is a password creation prompt, is to offer to create a password, "Safari created a strong password for this website".

First, a question: if I allow Safari to do this, can 1Password capture and store it? My assumption is that it can't, and that if I want to get that password into 1Password (which I do) I'll have to go dig it out of my Safari keychain, not always an easy prospect.

Second, another question, or maybe it's a feature request: wouldn't it be great if I could substitute 1Password into the workflow, so that what I saw was "1Password created a strong password for this website". The full set of 1Password recipe options would be provided, and the resulting password would be captured by 1Password. This doesn't exist already, does it? Can it?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.4.3 (70403002)
Extension Version: 7.4.3
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password cloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jgs!

First, a question: if I allow Safari to do this, can 1Password capture and store it? My assumption is that it can't, and that if I want to get that password into 1Password (which I do) I'll have to go dig it out of my Safari keychain, not always an easy prospect.

1Password typically cannot do this because Safari interferes with it, if both managers are enabled. That is why we recommend turning off the built in password manager in your browser. This way, 1Password can do its job without interference :)

Second, another question, or maybe it's a feature request: wouldn't it be great if I could substitute 1Password into the workflow, so that what I saw was "1Password created a strong password for this website". The full set of 1Password recipe options would be provided, and the resulting password would be captured by 1Password. This doesn't exist already, does it? Can it?

If you disable the password manager in Safari, you will be able to do this directly with 1Password. Is this what you are asking?

• jgs
    jgs
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reference to the documentation! Yes, that's essentially what I was asking, pretty much. It's a pity Apple doesn't give 1P a way to hook itself in to the native autofill infrastructure for a smoother user experience, but them's the breaks, I guess.

• On behalf of ag_ana you're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.