Extra copies of 1Password found

r8ders2kr8ders2k Junior Member

I've been getting this a lot recently and wondering if it's something with the last release...? As you'd think that any other copies on a Time Machine backup or another boot drive/partition wouldn't be an issue.

1Password Version: 7.4.4.BETA-0
Extension Version: 7.4.4.BETA-0
OS Version: macOS 10.15.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• I expect that the 1Password installer checks for multiple instances of 1Password from an abundance of caution. It helps prevent upgrading the 'wrong' copy of the application, where 'wrong' is other than the currently in-use copy. It is a useful check which warns the user of possible awkward consequences such as a mixture of old and new versions parts trying to work together and failing.

• ag_tommyag_tommy

Team Member

We recommend that users exclude the 1Password application from all backups. Time Machine, Super Duper, Carbon Copy Cloner etc.. If you ever need a previous copy you can always download one from our servers.

I think @xz4gb8 laid out some great thoughts behind the behavior.

• Alternative, in many cases have the target volume(s) automatically mount and dismount before and after the backup. This is especially useful for offsite backup drives that must be handled for swap as part of the backup process.

This provides 'instant' recover from a bootable clone backup for business continuity. The problem with encouraging incomplete system volume backup because of this type of warning dialog (correctable easily with a dismount command) is that good Internet access is not always present when disasters occur.

Also, 1Password is not the only application to be concerned with duplicates. Many applications and even system boot process produce indeterminate results in the presence of duplicates. Booting from the backup clone can be hazardous to your data if you don't notice it -- Time Machine can get 'odd'. This is why I conclude that dismounting a backup volume is more effective than special-casing the backup process.

• ag_kevinag_kevin Junior Member

Team Member

Hi @xz4gb8 ,

That is a great practice, and it's generally safer to only mount backups when necessary.

The reason for not allowing duplicates is that sometimes macOS will launch the wrong copy of the app, or its extensions inside. This can cause wrong versions of extensions communicating with the app itself, and validation to fail since they're not in the same location as the app itself.

If you are not able to automatically mount and dismount your backup drive, then we suggest excluding the app from the backup, but if you want to have a copy, just zip up a copy of 1Password and back that up. Then if you ever need to restore in a situation where you can't download a fresh copy, you can unzip the zipped backup and be back in business.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file