Crazy flickering during update of Windows client since ~7.4.750

Since around version 7.4 the updater seems to spawn a myriad of processes, which cause flickering (console?) windows and taskbar entries, often interfering with focus while I work. Since the updater kicks in whenever it pleases this is unexpected, uncommon and feeling broken. I hope you can prevent this.

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1809, 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• I'm not sure what could be causing this, @thomasstache. The updater runs silently – that is, it has no UI – so it shouldn't spawn anything at all. I also don't see anything like this myself. If you download the installer from our downloads page and run it, do you see the same behavior? This will run the same process as updating, in theory, just without actually changing anything. If you do see the same thing, is it something you might be able to capture a video of so we can get a better look at it? Thanks!

• thomasstache
    thomasstache
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

Hi Kate,
    I didn't capture it on video, but just ran into it again with 7.4.759.
    The thing is that the 1password updater doesn't simply run an EXE, but fires of quite a few commands like:
    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe" /C msiexec.exe /quiet /x {B8F09257-9B43-49B5-84A6-1DC627D5DA2B}
    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe" /C msiexec.exe /quiet /x {A682A5AE-9F57-4057-AB57-A0973B58A5A7}

But as a developer I have autorun hooks for CMD to configure my environment, and your updater triggers those like a dozen times, each time creating a console window for a split second.

• Hi @thomasstache,

Yes, that's part of the install; we check for older 1Password 6 installs and uninstall them like this. This has been the same for more than a year now though, so the only thing I can think of is that in the last update, we've switched from our bash script to using the native API as we found out that some security programs were blocking batch scripts by policy.

We've decided to remove the checks as we don't anticipate anyone would have both 1Password 6 and 7 installed at the same time at this point.

If you're willing to help, can you confirm this is better for you in the latest 1Password beta update? Here's how to enable beta updates: https://support.1password.com/betas/

• thomasstache
    thomasstache
    Community Member

Tried the beta - the update was so quick that I didn't even notice the update to 7.4.761!
    So seems to fix my issue.

• That's great! Thanks for confirming it, @thomasstache.

This discussion has been closed.