I keep getting the error message: "1Password couldn't complete it's install. Your 1Password folder"

"1Password couldn't complete it's install. Your 1Password folder is in use or is read only. Check the permissions of the 1Password directory and close other programs that may be using that folder." I've since deleted the app for Windows (and now it will not install because of this message), the 1Password extension/add-on for Mozilla Firefox, and the extension/add-on for Google Chrome. I attempted to re-download the app for Windows and got the same message. I was able to download the extensions/add-ons. I have Malwarebytes and I disabled it with no luck. Not sure what else to try. Every time I opened the app when installed, it gave me that message and had a red bar on the bottom of the popup window that said the "update wasn't able to install, click here to retry". It showed that the version was up-to-date when I looked, however. This problem started after the last update.

1Password Version: 7.4.759
Extension Version: 1.18.1
OS Version: OS 18363.720
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:read only

Comments

• I have the same problem, came here looking for help. It started after a Windows update. Cannot install 7.4.769 update, and the error message keeps popping up. What will fix this?

• Mine just resolved. I deleted all forms of 1Password from my laptop (Windows app and browser extensions), installed the latest version of my anti-virus (Malwarebytes),and then went to the 1Password website and performed the Windows download. I no longer get the error message. Can't explain why, but my assumption is that it has something to do with my anti-virus.

• Thanks @crewchief. Darn - it sounds like a lot of work! But at least I know what to try when I find the time.

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member

You actually shouldn't need to remove anything at all if you're running into the Malwarebytes issue, @debbiej. Just update Malwarebytes, restart your PC and 1Password should update after. @crewchief was absolutely right that there was an issue with Malwarebytes, but they fixed it up in an update and the reboot frees up the locks on those files/folders so just those two steps should fix thing up. :+1:

• I don;t have Malwarebytes and I still have this issue

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member

Do you have any other antivirus software, @sguergachi? If so, what version of 1Password are you updating from? Finally, have you tried updating with all web browsers and Explorer windows closed? Sometimes this is as simple as your browser relaunching 1Password before it finished its update so that can sometimes help. :+1:

• @bundtkate - Thank you for that tip! I updated Malwarebytes, and now 1Password is also updated and no more error messages. That was easy after all. I really appreciate the help!

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member

Thrilled to hear it, @debbiej! Enjoy and if I can do anything else to help, give me a holler. Stay safe out there! :chuffed:

• I have the default Windows Defender anti virus that comes with Windows 10

• updating from Version 7.4.758

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@sguergachi:

Can you make sure there are no updates to the definitions of Windows Defender in Windows Update?

Also, can you please answer this question that my colleague bundtkate asked you previously?

Finally, have you tried updating with all web browsers and Explorer windows closed? Sometimes this is as simple as your browser relaunching 1Password before it finished its update so that can sometimes help. :+1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file