To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Sync between iPhone and macbook doesn't work

Kanilifa
Kanilifa
Community Member

I use a MacBook (10.15.3) with a 1password family membership (7.4.3). On my iPhone (iOS 13.3.1) I use the latest 1password Version (7.4.7.).
I have my primary vault and the shared vault for my family members. I just set up a new login for a website on my iPhone, but I can't see the login on my Macbook.
On my MacBook, I can't find out what sync method it uses. In the settings, there is no sync icon.
On my iPhone, I tried to set up the iCloud sync, but I can't change the sync method on my MacBook.
When I scan the QR Code on my Macbook for setting up the iPhone it says I am already connected.
Please help me to sync correctly.

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: Safari 13.0.5
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @Kanilifa

To clarify some terminology, iCloud sync, and iCloud refers to a product from Apple. You have a Membership account from 1Password that syncs through your account via 1Password.com. The syncing does not take place through iCloud. Hopefully this will clear up any potential pitfalls. :)

On my MacBook, I can't find out what sync method it uses. In the settings, there is no sync icon.

There will be no sync settings for membership accounts. You seem to be syncing through your 1Password membership.

On my iPhone, I tried to set up the iCloud sync,

No need, you're not using iCloud to sync, see above terminology portion.

but I can't change the sync method on my MacBook.

You would not change the sync method.

When I scan the QR Code on my Macbook for setting up the iPhone it says I am already connected.

Sounds like your Mac is setup with your account.

Please help me to sync correctly.

We will get this sorted out.

You also said you have a Primary vault, that's likely the problem. The Primary vault is a hold over from before you had a membership. Let's start with a single device and get it fixed up. Which device does the Primary appear on?

• Kanilifa
    Kanilifa
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

Thank you, Tommy.
    On the iPhone in the settings under vaults, I can see "all vaults" with the colorful icon which is checked. Below I see the family flag with two vaults, but none of them is checked and below I can see the primary vault which isn't checked either.
    On my MacBook I can see "all vaults" and below it says "2 vaults" (probably my personal one and the shared one)

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2020

@Kanilifa

Thanks for those details.

It sounds as if you are in the vault selector section on the phone. Do you see close in the upper right-hand corner? If so, ensure no other vaults are selected and tap Primary, the window will now close. When the window closes make sure the icon for the Primary is show in the upper left hand side.

From this point, you will need your Mac and your phone to compare the Primary vault with the Private vault.

On the phone, select the logins section and look for any that are not present in the Private vault on the Mac. You will need to move any items that are not currently present in the Private vault into the Private vault using the phone. This topic will explain how to move the items from one vault to another - https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/

Repeat this for all of the sections under Primary. Once completed, we can remove the Primary to prevent further confusion. Let us know when you have everything moved over, and we can help you remove the Primary vault.

I have given you a fair set of steps, if you would prefer to discuss this in a one on one situation, feel free to reach out to us using support@1Password.com and we can continue the working through this and as always reach out if you have questions.

• Kanilifa
    Kanilifa
    Community Member

Thank you for your comment. I tried to move one specific password from the primary vault on my iPhone to the private vault. Now I can see this login on my MacBook. So this seems to be the problem. But how do I know whether a login-password is already in the private vault? I have hundreds of logins. If I all select them and move them to the private vault, does the sync realize that some of them are duplicates? Is it safer to select all and move them to private and then delete the duplicates?

• Hi @Kanilifa

Selecting all of the items and moving them will indeed create duplicates. You may be able to minimize that by selecting 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Migrate Data to Your Account. You can then sort your items by date modified, which may make it easier to find and delete older versions of any items you ended up with duplicates of. Doing so should also automatically delete the Primary vault when complete, but please let us know if that does not happen.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Kanilifa
    Kanilifa
    Community Member

I now have moved all items from the primary vault to private except 2: there are 2 migration receipts which obviously can't be moved to other vaults.
    As long as they are still in that primary vault it can't be removed. What can be done to remove that primary vault?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Kanilifa:

To remove your Primary vault, choose the Vault menu at the top of your screen > Switch to Vault > Primary. Then choose the Vault menu again, and select Delete Vault this time.

• Kanilifa
    Kanilifa
    Community Member

Can I delete the primary vault including these two migration receipts? Does that have any negative effect?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Kanilifa:

If you don't need the Primary vault anymore, you can remove it. Can you also post a screenshots of the two migration receipts, so I can make sure I understand what you are referring to?

• Kanilifa
    Kanilifa
    Community Member

These are the screenshots of the two objects which I can't delete without the warning. It also says please not to delete these items.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2020

@Kanilifa

You can safely delete these items at this point, and then you should be able to delete the vault entirely.

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

The warning is there for folks who may need to perform another migration from their Primary vault. Since our intention is to remove that vault entirely it doesn't apply to this situation.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.