Confused about the Parts of 1Password

Options

Can you help me understand the various 1Password software pieces ? I'm running Windows 10 and I'm terribly confused. On my installation I see three pieces: 1) a 1password icon that shows up on my windows taskbar 2) a program that shows up on my Windows Start menu. 3)a browser extension (visible on Firefox or Chrome as an icon on the toolbar). The browser extension part is particularly confusing. After spending 4 hours or so I discovered that there are apparently 2 flavors of browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. For lack of a better description, I'll call them an "X" version and a "non-X" version. Each of the 2 flavors also apparently has different feature sets. I discovered that the "X" version (apparently) does not have Windows Hello Support, but the non-X version does. As a novice user, it would have been helpful to have some guidance available that would help me understand what each of these pieces does, and which pieces I should install for a particular use case. A description of the features for each flavor of browser extension would also help.

I probably just missed it, but I could not find information specifically about any of this. Is there a description somewhere that describes what the various pieces are and use cases for each ?

Thank You.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 and 1.18.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RTV0070! Welcome to the forum!

1) a 1password icon that shows up on my windows taskbar

We call this "1Password mini": it's a smaller version of the 1Password app that you can use from the taskbar without having to launch the main desktop application.

2) a program that shows up on my Windows Start menu

This is the 1Password for Windows app, which stores your data.

3)a browser extension (visible on Firefox or Chrome as an icon on the toolbar)

The browser extension is what actually fills your logins on websites when you want to login. The desktop app cannot do this alone, because it's installed on your computer, not in your browser.

We have two types of extension: 1Password X is out latest browser extension, an exclusive for 1Password Membership holders. It does not communicate with the desktop application, it is an independent extension that you can use without having to install anything else separately.

The other extension is our traditional one: it requires the 1Password for Windows app to also be installed. If you have a Membership, I recommend giving 1Password X a try ;)

• RTV0070
    RTV0070
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Thank you for the quick reply. Your explanation was very clear and easy to understand. I don't know if it's possible, but something like your explanation would be helpful for new users when they're installing 1Password.

I did try 1PasswordX, but it didn't have a setting to allow me to use my Windows Hello fingerprint reader. That's something that I'd really like to use to unlock 1Password instead of entering my long password manually.

Thank you again for your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RTV0070:

Thank you for the kind words, I am glad I could help :)

I did try 1PasswordX, but it didn't have a setting to allow me to use my Windows Hello fingerprint reader. That's something that I'd really like to use to unlock 1Password instead of entering my long password manually.

I understand. For the moment then, I recommend using the traditional browser extension, which already supports this :+1:

This discussion has been closed.