Cannot log into Family Account member on a Mac

mercuryrsng
mercuryrsng
Community Member

I was trying to setup my daughters 1Password on her new Mac.I couldn't recall her secret key (pop up telling me that it should be in a specific format, and it gave me the first 8 characters) so I went into the main account and started the account recovery. She set a new password and was given a new secret key (which I printed). I completed the recovery in the main account and went to try to log into 1Password with her new secret key. The problem is the application is not taking her new secret key and is actually telling her that 'the secret key for this address should start with...' and shows her the OLD 8 lead characters. I have verified that the recovery is complete. I have closed the application and restarted the computer, but it still seems to want to only accept the OLD secret key.
Am I doing something wrong?

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mercuryrsng!

What is the value of the Sign In Address in the Mac app, when you try to login? Is it https://my.1password.com?

• mercuryrsng
    mercuryrsng
    Community Member

Hi,

It is https://****.1password.com where the stars are my last name. It actually worked when I used the QR code but it wasn't working for at least a half hour after I reset the secret key.
    So I guess I am good now.
    Thanks!

• Thanks for the update @mercuryrsng. I'm glad to hear you were ultimately able to get it working. If you haven't already I'd highly recommend each family member print and securely store their Emergency Kit:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

This will have the QR code you mentioned on it. It also has a spot to (optionally) write in their Master Password.

Ben

• mercuryrsng
    mercuryrsng
    Community Member

Thank you, we did that.

• You're very welcome. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• mercuryrsng
    mercuryrsng
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    So I have some more information on this. I tried to manually (not with the QR code) sign into my daughters account on another Mac and I am getting the same error. I want to be mindful on what I send here since there is sensitive information, but it basically tells me that 'The Secret Key for this email address should start with XX-XXXXXX.' It is looking for the previous Secret Key, not the current.
    However, when I log onto that same account on the web - it works perfectly fine. She has never been logged onto this Mac.
    I have verified the information completely. I wanted to try it without the QR code to see what would happen.

• @mercuryrsng

Could you please email the details including the first two blocks of the relevant secret keys (e.g. A3-123A54) to support@1password.com so we can troubleshoot further? With your email please also include a link to this thread (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/112353/cannot-log-into-family-account-member-on-a-mac#latest).

Thanks!

Ben

• mercuryrsng
    mercuryrsng
    Community Member

Sure will. Thank you.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2020

Thanks. :)

Ben

ref: WRI-63213-811