datavault to 1password conversion step is failing

using 1Password 7.4.759 for Windows 10 and trying to convert DataVault. Went through the entire process of setting things up as required. My desktop is in OneDrive. The step giving me a problem is the conversion step: perl convert.pl -v datavault ..\pm_export.json

The results are simply saying this: The input file '..\pm_export.json' does not exist.

What have I done wrong?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2020

Hi @break80

You might have to use the full path to your export file rather than ..\pm_export.json.

Do you know how to find that full path on your system to the OneDrive folder location?

If my file was on my O: drive, that path might be O:\some\path\to\my\pm_export.json file, so I would give the command as:

perl convert.pl -v datavault O:\some\path\to\my\pm_export.json

You would do something similar, using your own full path to the export file.

See if this helps.

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

In the CMD prompt, I tried naming the output file explicitly as shown in the attached jpg. I also tried running same as administrator. It still failed in both cases. I don;t know anything about perl so I am at a disadvantage.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@break80 ,

It's not a Perl issue, rather this is a path confusion.

What is the output of the command :

dir C:\users\jim\onedrive\desktop

Let me know if you want some remote help - we can resolve this in a few minutes. Contact me @ my email at the top of the convert.pl script and we'll go from there. I'll help ensure you keep your confidential information to your own eyes.

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

The output is the usual output for DIR...all the files and folder on the desktop.

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

I sent you an email requesting help.

I confirm the input file "pm_export.csv" is on the desktop.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Ah!, @break80

Then try the path using pm_export.csv and not pm_export.json !

If this doesn't work, we'll do remote help.

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

Yes, that worked. So the json file is actually NOT an output file, but is supposed to be the input file. I did not understand that. Sorry for the trouble.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@break80

No worries. Some password managers export JSON. The converter produces a JSON file for 1Password. Datavault exports as CSV, but I didn't recall that (and just now confirmed that was its output format). Your hint of the .csv file reminded me.

So it sounds like you are all converted now. Import into 1Password the 1PIF file created by the converter, and you should be good to go.

Enjoy 1Password!

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

Datavault exports DVX and CSV files. DVX files (Datavault Exchange) seems to be a proprietary formatted file, but it contain everything including all items, categories, and templates. Its a pity you are unable to convert that file. As to JSON, I never heard of that file extension so naturally I assumed it was the output that would be the input to 1Password. If the documentation identified that as the input file, I missed it. Sorry.

I can continue with the next step, inputting 1pif into 1Password. Thanks for you help.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@break80

Last I looked, the DVX file contains encrypted data, so unless someone cracks the encryption scheme, or Ascendo publishes it, the DVX file is not of much use.

This discussion has been closed.