Transitioning from 1 Password 4 -- Issues with some 1Password 7 features

caduceus26
caduceus26
Community Member
edited March 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

There a couple of areas where I'm either missing something or the feature isn't working as I expected:

2FA - I am using Google Authenticator with my IOS devices and am getting re-prompted several times when I confirm code. The code is being entered correctly.

Suggestions - I don't like the suggestion feature that seems to hold my master PW and allows logging in without re-entering the MPW which is pre-filled in the password box. I have turned off suggestions several times but it seems to return after a few sessions. In addition, in the list of suggestions, My wife's email address shows in the list. I deleted it twice despite the warning that if I deleted what it identified as my family account, I would have to log again. I deleted her account from from the list but reappears.

CC info popping up in extension I'm uncomfortable with the unsolicited presentation of my CC info when I'm using the Chrome extension. Is there a way to turn that off?

Multiple Account Login - My wife and I were using my desktop to set up her personal vault and through we verified that were logged in to her 1PW account (sign in to another account), logging into websites to allow 1PW to save the username and PW to her private vault it kept attempting to save the information in my private vault. What's going on there?

Sorry for the wordy message but trying to provide details for clarity. Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 7.4.759
Extension Version: 1.18.1 (build #20102)
OS Version: Windows 10 1903
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hi @caduceus26,

Thanks for writing in. I believe based on your post and the extension version you've listed, you're using 1Password X, which is not the same as 1Password 7 for Windows, they're two separate products for separate use cases.

The 1Password X extension is designed to run on its own inside the web browser, that's why it feels like it is doing things that you don't need because you have 1Password 7 already installed.

What you can do is disable/remove 1Password X extension from your web browser and install the regular 1Password app companion extension instead.

Multiple Account Login - My wife and I were using my desktop to set up her personal vault and through we verified that were logged in to her 1PW account (sign in to another account), logging into websites to allow 1PW to save the username and PW to her private vault it kept attempting to save the information in my private vault. What's going on there?

1Password defaults to saving your private vault to prevent accidental saving to shared vaults that you may not wanted to save there. You can go to the 1Password settings > Vaults to change the default vault.

• caduceus26
    caduceus26
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply

Multiple Account Login - Answer doesn't address the issue I described. I understand the PRIVATE and SHARED vaults mechanism, and how to set the default vault. The problem I described is at the login page of 1Password where after changing users from me to wife and logging into her account a newly created login appeared to want to save to MY private vault even though I wasn't the one logged on. After logging out and removing her account from the login screen at my.1password her account still showed in the list of suggestions. I restarted the computer after several failed attempts to get rid of the entry in suggestions. That problem now appears to be resolved. I don't want to use the suggestions and have hidden it on the screen although I have seen it come back after being hidden. Will keep my eye on that issue.

I did install 1Password X as you indicated because when I first installed the 1Password extension and since removing 1Password X and reinstalling the 1Password extension in Chrome I am getting the "Looking for the 1Password helper -- Couldn't connect to 1Password, Try again / Learn more" error that I saw so many times in 1Password 4 before the extension stopped working altogether. To confirm, the 1Password desktop is installed and working. Thanks again.

• caduceus26
    caduceus26
    Community Member

Tried to attach Diagnostic Report. Error says file type (.zip) not accepted.

• Before I dive into anything else, @caduceus26, don't attach a diagnostics here regardless. While we've recently made them a bit harder for just anyone to look at, they do contain information you likely wouldn't want to share on a public forum. If we need one (and we may), we'll ask and move things to email so we can protect your privacy. :+1:

Now with that said, there is one thing that is almost always the issue when you see this after swapping from 1Password 4 and that's the registry being mucked up. 1Password 4 doesn't know about 1Password 7 so if you uninstall it after updating, it'll eat 1Password 7's registry entries and break filling. Super quick fix, if that's the ticket:

1. Press Windows + R to get a Run dialogue.
    2. Type 1password.exe setup in the Run dialogue and press Enter.

1Password should pop up after thinking it has been updated (it hasn't, but we've tricked it so you'll have to give a pass on that one). Unlock, restart your browser, try again. Filling working now? Let me know what you find!

• caduceus26
    caduceus26
    Community Member

@bundtkate, I was a little anxious about posting to the forum because of security so I was set to send the diagnostics report to support@1password.com. However, your instructions on getting the filling to work were right on point. It's working as expected so no further action is needed at this time. Thanks again!

• It's no trouble at all, @caduceus26. This is one of those issues that irks me because the only way to completely avoid it would be to update 1Password 4 to be a bit smarter about this stuff and that's really not practical given its age. I've definitely tried to include notes to uninstall 1Password 4 first in our documentation, but that's not going to catch everyone and, really, there's good reason to want to wait until 1Password 7 is up and running to do so. Anyway, sorry for the trouble. It is an easy enough fix, but I wish it could be avoided entirely. Hopefully, you're not a bit closer to enjoying your upgrade, but if I can do anything more to help, just let me know. :chuffed:

• caduceus26
    caduceus26
    Community Member

I'm sure I'll have other questions as I go through the changeover. For now, it appears that I have a good start based what you've helped me with along with having used the legacy version of 1PW for awhile. So far, I'm finding a lot of stuff I need to clean up under the new version. Thanks again.

• It's no problem at all, @caduceus26. Happy tidying and if you have questions as you're exploring, we'll be here for you. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.