I have a vault file on iPhone and need to import to 1Password. How do I do that?

Options
MaertaLena
MaertaLena
Community Member

I received a vault file via airdrop, I now have it on my iPhone in ‘Files’ it is uncrypted and I want to promptly import to my 1Password app and then delete it.
However I cannot see in my app any place to import the vault file?

1Password Version: Latest iPhone version, downloaded a few days ago
Extension Version: Don’t think I have that
OS Version: IPhone XR
Sync Type: I don’t know
Referrer: forum-search:Please help me to move a vault file to my 1Password

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @MaertaLena

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'd be happy to help you find the best solution here. As you've found, 1Password for iOS does not have an import function. If you're receiving these passwords via AirDrop, is the intention to share these with another person? If so, 1Password membership is the correct solution here.

For families:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

For business:

Create, share, and manage vaults in your team

Alternatively, if sharing is not the goal, you can import using either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• MaertaLena
    MaertaLena
    Community Member
    Options

I got the valuta wish passwords from my husband , as we are separating /getting divorced . All the passwords included in the vault are related to me and our kids. However we are not going to have any family membership. I have created my own account and would like to import all these passwords instead of sitting down and typing it into my account.
    Does that makes sense?
    And can this be done on an iPhone?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2020
    Options

Thanks for clarifying. It makes sense, but (generally[1]) cannot be done on an iPhone. It would require either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows. These applications are included with an account.

Get the 1Password apps

[1] Unless the file is a CSV file, in which case it may be possible to import it using the 1Password.com web app: https://my.1password.com/import/csv
    If it is a 1PIF or other file type it would need to be imported by one of the desktop applications.

Ben

Addendum:

In speaking with one of my colleagues it was pointed out to me that 1Password for iOS does actually have the capability to import 1PIF files itself (Settings > Advanced > Import Vault). It seems however that this would still require a computer in order to add the 1PIF file to the 1Password for iOS app, and as such it may make the most sense to use one of the desktop applications anyway.

This discussion has been closed.