Is a stand alone purchase of 1Password 7 for Mac this possible?

I've used both 1Password 5 and 6 and was very happy with the product until you went to a subscription model. I have a competing password manager installed on my devices (MBP, iPhone, iPad) along with 1Password 6, but I was told by a forum friend (not this forum) that a stand alone purchase is still possible. I'd be interested in making an upgrade purchase to a standalone version of 1Password 7 if that is possible. Is there a mechanism to do that? If so, can you tell me the upgrade price and how to accomplish it?

I also notice in my notes, that from my purchase of 1P in Nov2016, that I have or had a secret key. It's a 34 character key I created and copied down. I think this was before you went to the subscription model. Is this still in effect? I thought I read something about needing a "membership", I assume a subscription to have a secret key.

I like your product but this transformation that is going on in the market to rent products through subscriptions instead of selling products is something I will resist as long as I can find someone in the market still selling, not renting their products.
Thanks for listening. Hope we can do business.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: OSX 10.15.3
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @Squeeky46!

I'd be interested in making an upgrade purchase to a standalone version of 1Password 7 if that is possible. Is there a mechanism to do that? If so, can you tell me the upgrade price and how to accomplish it?

Yes, you can purchase a license for 1Password 7 directly inside the app after installing it. Just make sure you download it from our website, as the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 only supports 1Password Memberships, which are paid with a subscription.

Is this still in effect? I thought I read something about needing a "membership", I assume a subscription to have a secret key.

That's correct: if you created a 1Password Membership account, you received a Secret Key.

• Thank you ag_anna. Using the method you described, downloading it from your website, is there an upgrade price that I can get as a 1Password v6 owner or will I be paying full price? And can you confirm that the license covers Mac, iPad, and IPhone or must it be purchased separately for each device? I forget from the last time I bought it.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thank you ag_anna. Using the method you described, downloading it from your website, is there an upgrade price that I can get as a 1Password v6 owner or will I be paying full price?

There isn't a specific discount for having licensed an earlier version. If you'd like to consider upgrading to membership instead, that may be something we can arrange. Please reach out to us at [email protected] to discuss. Membership is the way forward.

And can you confirm that the license covers Mac, iPad, and IPhone or must it be purchased separately for each device? I forget from the last time I bought it.

The 1Password for iOS app can be used as a companion app to a licensed copy of 1Password for Mac at no additional cost.

Ben

• Except Ben I don’t like subscriptions, a product that stops working when I stop paying.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Well, really, that's true for license purchases too. 1Password 6 no longer works with modern versions of Safari and requires a (paid) upgrade to 1Password 7. Software is an ever evolving world. Expecting to pay once and have it work forever is probably not realistic.

Ben

• If subscriptions are the way forward, it’s because Agilbits has chosen to make it so. That is their right, and it’s my right to look to purchase a product, not rent it, Subscriptions are why I set 1Password aside and started looking at your competitors. I don’t expect to have a product work forever, I expect to periodically upgrade and pay to do so.

Companies are adopting subscriptions because it means more revenue for them, and a price hike for customers, a mortgage that is never paid off, and I don’t want to have 20 subscriptions I’m paying on each month. At this point that is a slight exaggeration, but not by much. As long as I can find a product that sells, not rents their programs I will always chose to purchase.

• Ag_anna, can you tell me what the stand alone price of 1Password is? Thanks.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

As of writing the cost for a 1Password 7 for Mac single user license is $65 USD + tax (if applicable). It may still be on sale, and if that is the case the sale price is $50 USD + tax.

As long as I can find a product that sells, not rents their programs I will always chose to purchase.

That is certainly your prerogative, however part of my responsibility here is guiding customers toward the best available solution, and I would strongly recommend membership over licensing. Many of the reasons for that are outlined here:

About 1Password membership

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Thank you Ben. On an average I am purchasing program updates every 2-3 years, so purchase is clearly less expensive than subscribing at $5 per month. Ag_ana said that if I download it from your site, that there is an option to purchase a stand alone license. My question is if I have 1Password v6 currently installed on my MBP, and I download and install 1Password v7, will it displace my current install? And at that point, will I be able to revert back to v6?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@Squeeky46

Membership starts at $3 USD + tax (if applicable) per month (when paid annually).

What Ana said is correct. 1Password 7 will replace 1Password 6 when installed. It would be possible to revert.

Ben

• Squeeky46Squeeky46
    edited April 20

I have purchased the stand alone license for 1Password 7 and it works like a charm and all of my iOS devices are connecting and synching.

Now on my PC I have 1Password 4, and when I check on updates, it tells me that I have the latest version installed. Although it seems to be synching on PC Firefox with my dropbox account, and the 1 Password extension is installed and turned on, when I click on the 1Password extension logo (in Firefox), it pops open a page that wants me to sign into my account; email, master password, and secret key.

I don't believe I have an account by virtue of a stand alone license. I use my PC mostly for gaming and it's not that frequent that I'd need a password manager that works in a browser, but it would be nice for the occasions I could use it. Is there a way to set this up, or would I be expected to purchase 1Password 7 for PC too?

I downloaded the license when I purchased the Mac version, could this be applied to the PC version of 1P7?

If there is not a way to set this up without an additional purchase,, I can just open the 1Password app up on the PC and fetch (copy/paste) a needed password from there. Thanks.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@Squeeky46:

when I click on the 1Password extension logo (in Firefox), it pops open a page that wants me to sign into my account; email, master password, and secret key.

It sounds like you installed 1Password X in Firefox. That's our latest 1Password extension that is only available to subscribers. Since you purchased a standalone license instead, make sure you download the companion browser extension instead.

I don't believe I have an account by virtue of a stand alone license. I use my PC mostly for gaming and it's not that frequent that I'd need a password manager that works in a browser, but it would be nice for the occasions I could use it. Is there a way to set this up, or would I be expected to purchase 1Password 7 for PC too?

Standalone licenses are sold per platform, so if you want to use 1Password on your PC too, you will need a license for 1Password for Windows. Only 1Password accounts come activated for every platform (Mac, PC, iOS and Android).

• Squeeky46Squeeky46
    edited April 20

ag-ana, thanks. I did have the 1Password X extension installed on Firefox (PC). I removed it, downloaded and installed the companion browser extension. It seems that I'm getting the same result as before when I click on the Firefox 1Password extension icon in the address bar at the top of the page, a welcome window pops up with choices Start trial, sign in to 1password.com, synch using folder, synch using dropbox.

With what I have, 1Password 4 for Windows, will I be able to use this Firefox (PC) extension to fill in passwords in the Firefox browser on my PC? If not, it does not seem that the "companion browser extension" is functional and if so, I will just copy and paste a needed password directly from the 1Password application over to the browser when the occasion arises.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@Squeeky46

Do you have both 1Password 7 for Windows and 1Password 4 for Windows installed by chance? The options you're describing sound like 1Password 7, not 1Password 4. The browser extension can be used with 1Password 4, but not if 1Password 7 is installed. It'll try to connect to the latest installed version.

Ben

• Hi Ben, I checked and somehow 1Pv7 was installed, although I don't remember installing it. I have uninstalled it, still have 1Pv4 and will see how the Firefox 1P extension works now and will report back. Thanks!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Sounds like a plan. :)

Ben

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@svkrzn

$65 USD + tax is the current price, as of writing. That said, we do not recommend standalone licenses. Membership is the way forward, and includes access to the latest versions of all of the 1Password apps for your compatible devices.

Ben

• Very sorry to hear that. Membership will never be the way forward for me.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Best of luck however you decide to move forward, @joekun. I hope you find a setup that works well for you.

Ben

• Hi Ben and ag_ana,
    Please, please, please make this statement (original by ag_ana) IN RED CAPITAL LETTERS on your "Pricing" page at 1Password.com ...

Yes, you can purchase a license for 1Password 7 directly inside the app after installing it. Just make sure you download it from our website, as the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 only supports 1Password Memberships, which are paid with a subscription.

You almost lost me as a customer, and I love your Company and your product (first version I bought was 3.5.9 on 11 Jun, 2011, then 4, then 5, then 6), as well as half of my family that I've persuaded over the years to join the "one true password manager".

I didn't "buy" 7 because I understood you to say that you're only renting it.

I know how difficult it is for you guys to sustain and grow a software company these days; been there, done that! Maintenance, updates, bug fixes, etc. just don't stop. But the average user today has LOTS of programs, and SW companies all seem to want to "be the phone company", as we used to say. I think Microsoft started the trend, but even they had to seriously reduce the prices!

I can't afford that! What I can afford is to look at your new versions every couple of years, decide if you added some cool "irresistible" features, and buy it, and then bug my family and friends and make them jealous ... and then they upgrade.

We want to OWN our version of your software that we paid for.
    We want to be in charge of when we spend the money to get the next version.
    We hate the idea that one day we might have to stop that subscription, and immediately lose the use of the program.

Now I'm going to go and download 7, and buy it, and tell the family about your "secret" ;-)

BTW; in these tough times: do you have a tip jar set up? I've been very fortunate to be able to work from home, and my Company is surviving. I certainly hope that you are also keeping your heads above water.

Best regards!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @strobins

Please, please, please make this statement (original by ag_ana) IN RED CAPITAL LETTERS on your "Pricing" page at 1Password.com ...

We're no longer advertising licenses at all, and so I can't imagine that we're going to be putting big red letters about them on our marketing pages; sorry.

We hate the idea that one day we might have to stop that subscription, and immediately lose the use of the program.

Just to clarify: if you ever did find yourself in this situation, 1Password doesn't lock you out of your data. You'd still be able to view all of your data and export it. You just wouldn't be able to add more, modify it, or fill it using the browser extensions until re-establishing your subscription.

Now I'm going to go and download 7, and buy it, and tell the family about your "secret" ;-)

I really can't encourage that. Membership is the way forward with 1Password. But obviously that is your prerogative. :) 1Password Families membership is very likely to be less expensive than a bunch of family members purchasing licenses, particularly if any of them need both 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows.

BTW; in these tough times: do you have a tip jar set up? I've been very fortunate to be able to work from home, and my Company is surviving. I certainly hope that you are also keeping your heads above water.

I much appreciate the kind words and the sentiment, but I'd encourage you to direct any spare funds to a deserving charity involved in relief for COVID-19:
    https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=7779
    Alternatively the EFF tends to be a favorite around here:
    https://www.eff.org/

Ben

• I guess I'm just old fashioned.
    Not going to rent SW ... hope it works for you!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

:+1::)

Ben

• Hi @Ben,
    Apparently I still don't understand how this works ...

1. I downloaded 1P v7 on my Mac; all OK
    2. 1Password7/Purchase 1Password ...
    3. Window pops up -> Click
    4. Window pops up -> "Purchase a standalone licence" ... Click
    5. Window pops up -> "Account Frozen" ... or
    6. Background: Dec 2017 I opened the account before realizing that you wanted to rent your SW
    7. I just deleted the account
    8. Now I get the "Account Deleted" window.

Any ideas on how to get out of this circle? I just want to buy a copy of 1P-7
    Thanks

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@strobins

You would need to remove the account from your installation before you can purchase a license:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

Ben

• @Ben Thank you, it saddens me that it has come to this, as I really liked your product.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@joekun:

If you change your mind and would like to purchase a standalone license instead, we would be happy to keep having you with us :) It sounds like you are not a fan of our Membership offering, so perhaps you might consider a license instead. Whatever you end up choosing, thank you for your being a customer and stay safe online!

• @ag_ana The current version of 1password is several years old now, and I wonder how long a new license would be good for. The current price is almost double what I paid last time.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member
    edited May 9

@joekun:

The current version of 1password is several years old now, and I wonder how long a new license would be good for.

A license has no time expiration: if you buy a license for 1Password 7 for Mac, you can use 1Password 7 for as long as it works on your devices in the future. This means that even when 1Password 8 comes out, you can continue using 1Password 7 even if there is a new version available.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file