1 password keeps crashing on all 3 of my browsers

Options
bonniesboop
bonniesboop
Community Member

1 password 7 for mac keeps crashing on all of my browsers (safari, chrome, firefox). It freezes my entire system and I have to reboot my laptop in order to be able to use my computer. I also noticed that I still have 1 password 6 in my apps, but I've probably had it all along -- before 1 password 7 started crashing. In any case, how do I delete it from my system?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1 password keeps crashing

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi @bonniesboop! Welcome to the forum!

1 password 7 for mac keeps crashing on all of my browsers (safari, chrome, firefox). It freezes my entire system

So does 1Password crash, or does it freeze your system? I must ask because if it crashes, then it means that it's not running anymore, so whatever freezes your system must be something else. Perhaps the same thing that is making 1Password crash in the first place.

Also, have you found a consistent set of steps to consistently trigger this behavior?

In any case, how do I delete it from my system?

You can uninstall 1Password 7 by dragging 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. You can then download it again from our website and install it, to see if this is enough to fix the issue you have been experiencing.

• bonniesboop
    bonniesboop
    Community Member
    Options

The problem only seems to be happening with 1password and only with some logins. Too, 1password has stopped recording my user name (but it records the password), on new sites. I think my copy of 1password is corrupted. If I drag my current copy of 1password into the trash and download a new copy, will my logins and passwords be saved or will I lose all of them?

• @bonniesboop

You listed you're on 10.15.4, and I think I can safely say you recently updated to 1Password 7.4.3? Please try the following before you remove the current copy. Then if that fails, we can help you through the reinstall.

1. Quit Safari and any other open web browsers.

2. Open and then quit 1Password completely.

• Hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar.
    1. Restart the Mac.

2. Open 1Password.

3. Open the browser(s).

4. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins.

Let us know if that resolves the problem your experiencing.

• bonniesboop
    bonniesboop
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    When I open 1Password, I can't quit it. I get the "spinning ball of death," and the only thing I can do at that point is to reboot my entire computer. My computer is fine -- until I need to retrieve a login/password and 1Password opens and I'm back to my entire computer freezing up once again with the spinning ball -- unless I reboot. I think my version of 1Password (I'm running 1Password 7, but I don't know which version because I can't get into the app to check), is corrupted. If I drag it to the trash and download a fresh copy, what happens to all of my existing logins and passwords? How do I save them? Help!

Bonnie

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2020
    Options

@bonnieboop

Is this behavior occurring when the app is Open but still locked?

Can you open you Applications and locate the 1Password app, select it and press the spacebar it should give you app details. Press the spacebar again to dismiss.

This discussion has been closed.