Passwords vs Logins

Options
rzla
rzla
Community Member

Under Categories, I see (along with other items) Passwords and Logins. Is there a support document which explains the difference? I see there is no Username field in Passwords entries. I'm trying to figure out what causes a new Passwords entry to get created, and what their intended purpose is. Thanks ...

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rzla!

Every time you use the password generator, the resulting password is stored in the Password category. Once you attach that password to a Login item, you can remove the corresponding Password item to avoid duplicates.

The Passwords category can also be useful for all those items without a login, such as alarm codes, trolley locks, encryption keys etc.

• rzla
    rzla
    Community Member
    Options

Okay - thanks for the reply. I understand your point about saving items without a login, but requiring the user to remove a Password item once it's been attached to a login (rather than having the item be automatically deleted) seems like a curious design decision.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020
    Options

@rzla:

In most cases, this should happen automatically. But when it doesn't happen automatically, 1Password always defaults to keeping information rather than deleting it, whenever in doubt. Since it's a security app, it's the most secure choice, as the alternative would probably be worse.

• bwaldron
    bwaldron
    Community Member
    Options

So does this mean I can delete all entries in my logins since this is just 1Password doing this for no reason?

• Ben
    Options

It is your data. You can delete whatever items you'd like. :)

Ben

• bertiebuoy
    bertiebuoy
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

What I would like to be able to do is for the password generated to go straight into a new login as nine times out of ten that is what you are doing.. At the mo it seems you have to save new password in the password category...go into edit....come out of edit...then the convert to log in appears.. Or am i missing something?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @bertiebuoy

Most folks aren't creating logins that way. Instead they are using the browser extension to save the login:

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

Or with 1Password X (and now Safari)'s inline menu:

Get to know 1Password X

In short: I think there is probably a different workflow that would result in a smoother operation. :)

Ben

• bertiebuoy
    bertiebuoy
    Community Member
    Options

The thing is Ben.....thats how I'm using it...so when I'm on a new site it defaults to the password category. It doesn't seem possible to get it to default to the login category. 9 times out of 10 I'm setting up a username and password for a site.......Am I missing a step?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bertiebuoy:

when I'm on a new site it defaults to the password category.

Can you maybe post a screenshot of this?

This discussion has been closed.