Any way to disable 1password completely on a website/domain?

A recent update in an internal login page stopped working with 1password extension enabled. So far what I have gathered is that a 'keyup' event originating from 1Password does not have a "getModifierState" method and something on the page craps out i.e., 'Uncaught TypeError: e.getModifierState is not a function'.

I am not allowed to use 1password for the internal website anyway so I am fine with disabling it completely. But I don't see a way to disable 1password fully just for this domain. Things I tried:

• Disable Autosave for the domain.
  • Chrome extensions has "Site access" but it's a whitelist, not a blacklist.

1Password Version: 7.4.763
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @wbkang ,

You can blacklist specific domains in the 1Password 7 desktop app:
    1. Open the desktop app.
    2. Click the "1Password" menu on the top left of the app and select "settings".
    3. In the settings menu, go to the "Browsers" tab and there you will find a text box where you can input domains of websites you don't want 1Password to show up or autofill in.

However, please note that if the website is simply having troubles just by having the 1Password extension enabled in your browser, that might not help. Let me know what you find.

• wbkang
    wbkang
    Community Member

Hello @Yaron thanks for the reply. That didn't work -- that was the first thing I tried in the list 😅 I googled a bit and it looks like 1password, even when there are no passwords to fill does some things to browser events. For now I ended up just setting the 1password extension to be enabled on-click:

It's a bit inconvenient, I hope there is a better workaround.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @wbkang ,
    When the page loads 1Password scans it and runs its algorithms in order to determine if there is a login form or any other type of field it can autofill. It shouldn't trigger any event on the page, but we have seen some cases in the past where the website was designed in a manner that caused 1Password's scan to actually trigger stuff behind the scenes.

I do not have a better suggestion unfortunately, what you are doing with the workaround is actually pretty good since you don't need to disable the extension and then enabling it every time you want to use it.

• wbkang
    wbkang
    Community Member

Hi @Yaron,

It shouldn't trigger any event on the page

I think it does modify the keyup events in some way. I found some other forum post complaining about this.

Would you be able to maybe create a feature request that either 1- make the keyup event work normally by adding getModifierState function or 2- a way to easily disable 1paasword entirely, not just autofill? I'd think #1 is a right thing to do in general considering 1password extension should strive to be as non-intrusive as possible with websites.

The reason I ask is because I fortunately have some web development experience so I was able to go through the steps of disabling every single extension and see what broke the login webpage, but I'd think the ordinary users would have big trouble finding out what is wrong at all (or maybe I am underestimating how tech-savvy the ordinary 1password users are 😅).

Anyway, thanks for your time!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @wbkang ,
    Thanks for the additional info.

That is a pretty niche feature request that has a very small effect (if any) for the vast majority of our users, and will probably do more harm than good (often users tend to "explore" and turn on/off options they don't understand), which is why we aim to keep the app as clean as possible with as little options as possible. If you insist, I can forward your request but I'm being honest here by telling you the chances of such a feature being implemented are slim :unamused:

Can you please test things with 1Password X on your website and see if you are getting the same results? 1Password X's abilities will get to the companion extension at some point so if things work properly with 1Password X then it will probably get fixed unintentionally in the companion extension that you are using.
    https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

This discussion has been closed.