Entire password not being pasted into web form

I'm not sure if this is a 1Password problem or perhaps AT&T's web form problem, but when I use the "command-slash" keyboard combination to autofill my AT&T (att.com) login credentials, the special character (a question mark: "?") within my password is not included when my password is autofilled on the form. However, I can manually copy and paste the password into the form just fine. The special character is not at the beginning or end of my password, but it is the only special character that my password contains. I have chosen not to change my password at this time to help isolate this use case in case it is a coding problem. I look forward to hearing back from you.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.4.3 (70403002)
Extension Version: 7.4.3
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.4 (19E287)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jreeves! Welcome to the forum!

We will be happy to test this for you. Can you please share with us the entire URL of the login page?

• jreeves
    jreeves
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana! The entire URL of the login page is https://www.att.com/my/#/login

I look forward to hearing what you find out.

• jreeves
    jreeves
    Community Member

ag_ana, I also confirmed just now in a Safari private window (to not use any cookies) that going to that URL and attempting to autofill the form with 1Password repeated the issue, so it is reproducible for me still.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jreeves:

Thank you for the additional information. I have tested this here and I confirm that I was able to reproduce this behavior. I have seen more than one website doing strange things to filled passwords, and this seems to be one of those cases. I have investigated this a little bit, and I managed to find a page on the AT&T website with their password rules.

The one that caught my eye is this one:

Cannot contain special characters, except hyphen (-) and/or underscore (_)

Perhaps the website is removing characters based on this rule? In fact, if you replace the "?" character in your password with an underscore character, and you fill your credentials using 1Password, the AT&T website does not remove the character in that case.

• jreeves
    jreeves
    Community Member

@ag_ana:

Thank you for finding this info! I suppose their field must be treating the autofill differently than when I manually copy and paste since it will accept the password when I do that. I will change my password to follow their guidelines as you found and I should be good to go. Thank you again for your fast and complete technical assistance! I consider this issue closed.

• @jreeves

On behalf of ag_ana, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.