1Password X doesn't support scanning QR codes for One-time passwords?

Options

https://support.1password.com/explore/whats-new-1password-x/#one-click-two-factor

I do not see the QR code button shown in the screenshot, for reference I am using the latest stable version of Chrome with the 1Password Chrome extension on Windows 10.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.18.1
OS Version: Windows 10, v1909
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jmcclain! Thanks for the report. Is there a QR code in your browser window when you're looking for that button? It should appear regardless, but I want to make sure we're thinking of the same thing.

• jmcclain
    jmcclain
    Community Member
    Options

I typically just screenshot the QR codes and then upload them manually after the fact, here is an example of my creating / editing a saved login credential ([company].1password.com private vault):

Browser extension: https://i.imgur.com/bk5nWA2.png
    Windows program: https://i.imgur.com/kaCvtOa.png

Note how in the Windows program, there is a QR code icon I can press which gives me options such as "from clipboard", "from image file", and "from my screen." I see no such options using the browser extension / website.

Thanks for helping troubleshoot this btw, I appreciate it!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I see, @jmcclain. I really appreciate the screenshots. You're looking at the 1Password web app, and the guide you linked in your original post is for 1Password X. You can get to 1Password X by clicking the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar. When a Login is selected that matches the website URL you're currently visiting, you'll see a button like the one in my screenshot below.

You are able to create a TOTP field in the 1Password web app, but it's not quite as convenient as scanning the QR code is with 1Password X. You'll have to copy the code manually rather than scanning. Here's a guide for that just in case you ever need it in the future. :)

• jmcclain
    jmcclain
    Community Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

Ah ok, so the web app doesn't have a QR code upload button, only the browser extension.
    I didn't realize I had to navigate to the website listed in the login for the browser extension to show the QR code button.

I guess for now I'll just switch to the Windows app whenever I want to upload screenshotted QR codes manually.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmcclain – I believe you already have 1Password X installed. You provided Extension Version: 1.18.1 in your original post, which is the version for 1Password X. Can you double check the extensions in your browser and see if 1Password X is listed?

• jmcclain
    jmcclain
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I have the extension installed already.

I use it for autofilling password fields, I just meant I'd probably use the Windows program for QR code uploads. I'm aware you mentioned the browser extension can also scan QR codes, but only if I already have the specific webpage open correlating to the login saved in 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmcclain:

Indeed, the QR code must be visible on the web page for 1Password X to see it :+1:

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmcclain – I want to make sure I'm explaining myself correctly, since I'm not understanding why you said "I'm aware you mentioned the browser extension can also scan QR codes, but only if I already have the specific webpage open correlating to the login saved in 1Password." Here's an example for you:

I want to set up 2FA on Twitter. I've already got my Twitter Login stored in 1Password from when I created my account last year, but I didn't set up 2FA right away. So, I sign into my Twitter account (and therefore am visiting www.twitter.com, or some form of that domain). Once I get to the page with the QR code, I click the 1Password icon in my browser toolbar. Since I'm visiting www.twitter.com already, my Twitter item (with www.twitter.com stored inside it) is suggested right away. Again, since the domains match up, I see the QR code button, which I click to scan the QR code. 1Password X automatically copies the TOTP so I can simply paste it inside the confirmation field to finish setting up 2FA. Next time I sign into my Twitter account and fill using 1Password X (either via the inline menu or the pop-up), my username and password get filled, and my TOTP automatically fills when I'm asked for it.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

• jmcclain
    jmcclain
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help everyone, I think the issue was simply user error on my end. I've been saving passwords / 2FA codes manually using the [company].1password.com website after setting them up, due to some sites having the "login" portal URL appended with lots of extra characters / tokens in the header as well as saving many logins that aren't URL based (e.g. SSH and remote desktop logins). This is probably an edge-case as most users probably use the extension the way you described, saving the credentials / 2FA either when first setting those up or at the very least while said website is open in a tab.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmcclain – You're very welcome! I'm glad you were able to figure that out in the end. That makes much more sense now. I was worried I was mis-explaining something on my part. I hope you'll give the QR scanner in 1Password X a try in the future, whenever possible. :)

This discussion has been closed.