Safari extension cannot be enabled in Safari preferences

Options
skinbo
skinbo
Community Member

I have 1 password 7 installed on MacOS 10.15.4. I can't enable the 1password extension in Safari preferences. The check box can't be ticked. I've tried uninstalling, restarting and reinstalling.

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension

Comments

• @skinbo

Please try the following, I have had good success from this set of instructions. Do not skip any steps.

1. Quit Safari and any other open web browsers.

2. Open and then quit 1Password completely.

• Hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar.
    1. Restart the Mac. * I actually prefer to shutdown the Mac. (I know all process have stopped)

2. Open 1Password.

3. Open the browser(s).

4. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins.

• skinbo
    skinbo
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy No luck :( Still can't tick the checkbox.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2020
    Options

@skinbo

We usually saw this when Safari or the helper was not shut down properly, If I recall correctly. I hate to ask, but could you try a modified approach?

• Please, do not skip any steps.
    1. Quit Safari and any other open web browsers.

• No light under the Safari browser icon
    2. From the menu bar. 1Password > Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password Extension Helper

3. Quit 1Password completely using the following key strokes⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)

• 1Password must be the frontmost process.
    4. Restart the Mac. * I actually prefer to shutdown the Mac. (I know all process have stopped)

5. Open 1Password and unlock.

6. Open the browser(s).

7. Enable the extension. * Do not click more extensions

--

If that fails, I want to ask you to create a diagnostics report.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

The diagnostic report doesn't include any private information like your logins, Master Password, or Secret Key:
    About 1Password diagnostics reports https://support.1password.com/diagnostics-privacy/
    Please send that report to support@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum. skinbo
    A link to this topic. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/112928/safari-extension-cannot-be-enabled-in-safari-preferences#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

Once we receive the report, we will be in a better position to assist you.

You will receive an automated reply from our system. Please post that ticket/support ID number back here.

• skinbo
    skinbo
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy i tried the modified instructions to no avail. I submitted the diagnostics report but haven’t received an automated reply.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2020
    Options

@skinbo

Got it! Someone will be with you asap. Thank you for your patience.

ref: BIT-95977-944

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member
    Options

Was there any resolution on this, I'm having the exact issue, and following the steps above resulted in no change in behavior.
    The option is simply not 'checkable' in the extensions preference of Safari

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Houdini7:

What version of Safari are you running, and on what operating system? I have just tried testing this here and the extension worked for me on macOS 10.15.5 and Safari 13.1.1.

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I should have given you those details :)

MacOS: 10.15.5
    Safari: 13.1.1
    1Password: 7.5

• rudy
    Options

@Houdini7,

are you attempting to do this while sharing your screen over Zoom, or have some similar program running that has a full screen "overlay" window? Safari has a security measure where you can't enable extensions (and behaves the way you describe) if there is a full screen overlay in place.

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member
    Options

Well, that was it (kinda)
    Zoom was not the problem, but another program from the App Store "Screen Dimmer"
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/screendimmer/id562058942?mt=12

That is a small program that will dim your screens if they're too bright.
    Disabling that and completely quitting it, allowed me to CLICK the extension!

Thanks!!!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @Houdini7. It isn't made entirely clear but Safari won't allow you to enable extensions while it thinks screen sharing is happening. Glad to hear you were able to track down which app was causing that trigger and it is working now. :)

Ben

• Houdini7
    Houdini7
    Community Member
    Options

I understand whey they don't allow that, but wow, they need to make that far more clear as to why clicking does nothing! :)
    And maybe even let you know which program is offending that rule...

• Ben
    Options

That'd be great, I agree. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.