Do I need Safari extension to sync passwords between browsers if I'm running the desktop app?

Options
scrutinizer
scrutinizer
Community Member
edited April 2020 in Mac

Hello,
I just wanted to know:

• Can I sync passwords between browsers without the Safari extension if the desktop app is installed and so has been the Firefox extension?
  • Are the extensions and the desktop app backwards compatible?

Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @scrutinizer! Welcome to the forum!

Can I sync passwords between browsers without the Safari extension if the desktop app is installed and so has been the Firefox extension?

Yes, because sync is performed by the desktop app. The extension does not sync data, it only fills it on your websites.

Are the extensions and the desktop app backwards compatible?

Backwards compatible with what? Can you please clarify? Thank you!

• scrutinizer
    scrutinizer
    Community Member
    Options

Backwards compatible with old versions of the desktop app, version 3.8

• Ben
    Options

Hi @scrutinizer

I would strongly recommend against running 1Password v3, especially because doing so likely indicates you'd be using a very outdated operating system. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser.

To answer your question: v3 and v7 are unlikely to be able to share data. A number of changes happened with the way 1Password stores its data between those versions.

Ben

• scrutinizer
    scrutinizer
    Community Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

I can't upgrade that machine beyond 10.7.5. And I worked out a strategy of sharing passwords between different browsers across several Macs, hence my question.

• Ben
    Options

It may be time to consider an alternative then. 1Password 3 was last updated in 2014. Mac OS X 10.7 was discontinued in October of 2012. In this case newer hardware that is capable of running a modern operating system would be the only recourse I could suggest. I realize these devices are expensive and we're not financial consultants, but from a security perspective being stuck with an OS that is a number of major versions out of date, especially on an internet connected device, is far less than ideal.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.