1Password 7.4.763 - incomplete synch?

Options

On my desktop and on the web site, I have 872 items. On my laptop there are only 725 items. My laptop is missing the credentials for the site I needed to get to from the laptop. Both the desktop and the laptop are running 7.4.763. Both agree on the last synch time. What's my next step?

1Password Version: 7.4.763
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 (FireFox) 7.2.583 (Edge)
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• Unless this has been going on for some time, @stevewoo, I'd wager this is more likely to be a setup problem, so I'd like to start by checking that out. If you can, grab the laptop and plop it down nearby the desktop so you can look at both at once. Unlock 1Password on both and press Ctrl + D on each. Look at the list of vaults on both devices. Are there any shown on the desktop that aren't in the list on the laptop? If any are missing, stop here and let me know.

If everything is there on both, check out your All Vaults settings on the laptop:

1. Choose 1Password > Settings, then click Vaults.
    2. Scroll through and check that all of your vaults are checked.
    3. If any aren't, check them off, then close settings.

Look for that item you couldn't find on your laptop again. Is it there now? Let me know what you find. :+1:

• stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member
    Options

Yes! There are entries in the desktop that aren't on the laptop. This is how I figured out there was a problem.

• stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

Oops. RTFS. I have only the personal vault on both computers. The item that I could not find on the laptop is still not on the laptop. It exists on the desktop. The only difference I notice is the icon next to the checked vault shows an outline of a person on the laptop and on the desktop, the icon is the keyhole. I have noticed this problem before, but lost track of it.

• stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member
    Options

Problem solved. On the laptop that didn't match the other devices in terms of "all items", I logged out of the account and then logged back in. Now all item counts are the same. WTF?

• I'd hazard that those missing items were probably on the older side, @stevewoo, and your laptop missed a sync a while back. I mentioned "Unless this has been going on for some time" to start with distinct purpose here. In older versions of 1Password, it was possible to have a sync get interrupted without 1Password knowing it had missed that sync. It would continue to sync in new changes, but never go back and snag those old ones it missed in the first place. This has been fixed in later versions so a brand new sync problem wouldn't have that as its cause, but one that had lingered for a time still could – that fix wasn't able to be retroactive. That you were missing a vault icon for a longer period is pretty good evidence that this problem actually happened a while back, but has flown under the radar (or just not reach the top of your priority list until recently).

The fix this in the past (and now if you've got lingering trouble) is exactly what you did – sign out and sign back in. I'll try not to bore you too much with details, but the short version is that 1Password tracks whether or not it needs to sync with a version number we call a "content version". Every time something changes, your app will update its content version. When it asks to sync, the server sees a larger content version that it has and pulls data up. On the next device you unlock, that app will see the server's larger content version and pull data down. This issue happened when your app saw that larger content version, started to sync down (and updated its content version as a result) then got interrupted. Its content version now matches the server so it thinks it has nothing to sync, but its data doesn't match so it actually does need to sync and isn't behaving properly. That is a gross oversimplification of a vastly more complex system, but hopefully gives you the gist. Again, this issue is fixed now so since you've corrected it at this point, you shouldn't see it again. Unless we break it in the future, I suppose, but one thing we do when we find these issues is add automated tests to avoid them coming back so this particular bug should be gone for good. :chuffed:

• stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! i appreciate the 50K foot explanation. There were two things that surprised me. 1) When I uninstalled 1Password from my laptop, i expected the data associated with it to go away as well. i was surprised when I reinstalled that the same stuff was still there. 2) it was unexpected (until I thought about it) that with the browser extension installed and not the application, the extension just grabbed what it needed from the cloud. I would have just gone with that, but typing in that strong password every time was not going to happen. 3) (yeah, a bonus), I installed Firefox on that PC since the 1Password extension for Edge rarely seems to work and the one for Firefox seems pretty bullet proof. Love the product. Thanks again.

• The reinstall thing does tend to trip people up, @stevewoo, so you're defs not alone there. I understand where folks are coming from, but the reality is that the data 1Password holds is special. I mean, really special. For many, it's your entire digital universe locked up in there. Reinstalling, on the other hand, is pretty routine. Especially so for Windows users, I'd hazard. The first steps of trying to fix any computer problem are near always the same – "Did you try turning it off and back on again?" "Well, then you should probably reinstall it." We joke and laugh about it, but it wouldn't be quite so funny were it not true. So, we didn't want something people do as a normal troubleshooting step without talking to us at all to be destructive of important data. Sure, you should have that backed up somewhere, but it's entirely possible some or all of that data is only available locally under less than ideal conditions and if you're reinstalling, chances are something is broken so conditions are less than ideal. It's a case where "better safe than sorry" rings particularly true, so we're willing to risk some confusion and having to take a few licks to ensure that data is well-protected.

Also, just a quick work on Edge. Firefox is totally awesome (I use it as my personal browser so I'm obviously a fan), but the Edge most folks have today is all but at the end of its life. Microsoft released a new Edge that's Chromium-based. The browser itself is stable already and can be installed today, if you'd like, but it's not shipping with Windows updates just yet unless you're on the fast ring of the insider builds. Anyway point is that any recent extension woes in Legacy Edge are actually not at all Edge's fault. They're ours because we ended support for it a bit early in order to allow us to make some needed changes to 1Password. Now, at the time we made this decision, the world had not yet gone totally off the rails so we thought we'd see the new Edge in the April Windows update that just landed earlier this month making that decision a bit less disruptive than it's turned out to be, but things have changed (understatement of the century right there) so we've probably caused a bit more fuss than we expected. Regardless, if you'd like to use Edge (whether permanently or just to give it a try), you can install the new version and the 1Password Chrome extension will work there. You can find steps to set that up here:

https://support.1password.com/kb/202003/

One caveat – pay attention to the small text about installing the extension. 1Password X is the slightly easier path on the new Edge, so we highlighted that one, but the companion extension that will stay unlocked for you works there too and is covered in that smaller note below. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.