Question Not understanding 1Password 3.3.0's Dropbox sync feature

trolley
trolley
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
According to the release notes for 1Password 3.3.0 it now includes native Dropbox sync support. While I think this would be great, I have no idea how to use it.

I have all along been storing my 1Password database in my Dropbox folder for easy synchronization so I don't understand how 3.3.0 is any different. I see no options for Dropbox configuration in the Preferences.

Is this point of this feature to be able to set up my Dropbox credentials within 1Password and have it manage the synchronization instead of letting my Dropbox client do it whenever the database changes?

If I'm misunderstanding then should setting up the Dropbox sync option on my iPad automatically allow it to detect my existing 1Password database on Dropbox?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Yes in regards to the iPad statement. It is referring to the mobile apps syncing thru Dropbox.
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    I'm sorry for the confusion; I was waiting until 1Password Pro was accepted by Apple into the App Store before posting the full instructions. 1Password Pro was approved late last night so I can post them now.

Please see Cloud Syncing With Dropbox for details on how to configure your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch to sync automatically.
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hey, Tommy;

Does that mean there's a new 1P for iPhones/iPod Touches? Why does 1P have to be changed to make syncing for them work? Do you mean without being on a LAN?
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Yep there's a new touch app out it will be able to sync anywhere you have an Internet connect or data connection be it wifi. Or 3G etc
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited July 2010
    What version do you have ? A 3G is needed for the app and should be running ios 4 i think some other versions of the ios will work down to 3.5 I believe dont quote me on this one. Iwould say checks daves' post immediately above yours. For clarification.
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    edited July 2010
    I'm running an iPod Touch 2G, and iTunes claims it's running iOS 4.0. I updated 1P, then tried the new instructions (a la Dave Teare, above) and can confirm that cloud syncing doesn't seem to work on a 2G box -- 1P quits during the setup and later every time it's started and connects.

Unfortunately, however, even after I turned Dropbox syncing back off (since it doesn't work for me), I cannot now sync via my LAN either -- my iPod is identified as being offline, and 1P crashes before I get things set up.

Is it time to dump 1P and Dropbox from the Touch? Am I now obsolete?

PS: I've discovered that the local syncing problem is this -- 1P won't let me turn off Dropbox syncing; the switch moves to off, 1P quits, and I'm back where I started with cloud syncing on.

Definitely time to dump it all.
  • trolley
    trolley
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the answers, it makes sense now. Hoping to get the Dropbox sync working on my iPad and iPod touch tonight (if it will work on 1st gen iPod touch that is).

Thanks for the great product!
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Is it time to dump 1P and Dropbox from the Touch? Am I now obsolete?

You're not obsolete as long as you can install iOS 4 on your device, which you have. We've discovered that there's a crash that affects the iPhone 3G; I cannot say for sure, but I suspect that it may be the same thing affecting the iPod touch 2G, also. I know that Roustem was working on this and I believe that the fix is in the update that we just submitted.
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks, Gita. I'll wait for it.
This discussion has been closed.