Cannot log into iOS app after changing master password

jbocciardi
jbocciardi
Community Member

Hi there
I recently changed my master 1Password password, via 1Password.com. I subsequently was able to also change the password in my WIndows (laptop) app successfully, and can now access my vaukt via the web or my laptop.
BUT.....
When attempting to sync up the new password to my iPhone (iOS 13.4.1), I receive "Please check your Master Password or sign in manually with details from your Emergency Kit or a signed in device." However, there is no place to DO that (enter the Emergency Kit info).
Here is what I have done so far, all to no avail:
1) Tried the OLD Master Password
2) Tried the NEW Master Password
3) Tried uninstalling the app, powering the phone off and on, and reinstalling the app
4) Tried to ADD a "new" account (rather than use the "discovered" account) by scanning my new Emergency Kit Setup code; when I do this, and input the current Master Password and press "Done," the "Sign in" button is not enabled and I can do nothing. (Yes, I have tried that with both old and new Master Password).
Is there a way to get this resolved on my iPhone? I can use the online version if necessary, but what a pain that would be...Please Help!!
Thank you so much!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 for iOS
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.4.1
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot log into iOS app after changing master password

Comments

• Hi @jbocciardi

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty. Please try this for me:

1. Uninstall 1Password for iOS
    2. Download a fresh Emergency Kit using my.1password.com on your computer
    3. Restart your iOS device: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support
    4. Install 1Password for iOS: 1Password for iOS on the App Store
    5. Select the option to sign into your account, and instead of selecting the option to use already stored credentials scan the QR code on your fresh Emergency Kit from step 2
    6. Enter the same Master Password you used in step 2 to sign in

I understand you've already tried a similar process but I'm hoping ordering the steps like this will help. Please let me know.

Ben

• jbocciardi
    jbocciardi
    Community Member

Thanks, @Ben. I did as requested, and the issue remained that the "Sign In" option, after scanning the newly-generated key and using my password, was never enabled (it was grayed out the entire time I was typing in my password, and remained grayed out even after I hit "Done" after typing in my password.
    So, I tricked it...here's what worked (God help me).
    1) I set my focus to the Key string that was generated from my scanning the new Setup code.
    2) I checked the string, and it definitely matched the printed string from my emergency kit.
    3) I then completely deleted the Key string that had been generated from the scan, and re-entered it manually using the emergency kit. I realize this sounds ridiculous, but I've worked in IT way too damn long to not try the most stupid-seeming solution.
    4) Once I did that (used a manually-typed-in key code instead of the scan-generated one that had the EXACT SAME sequence of alphanumeric characters and dashes in it), the "Sign In" text turned a lovely shade of blue and became enabled.
    5) I was in 1Password successfully, after so many attempts.
    So, I'm in. But, I still think there may be a tiny little "feature" that rears its head in an exact set of circumstances (and, possibly only on my model iPhone, who knows). As a further control to this whole experiment, I went into the app on my iPad this morning (which is on iPadOS 13.3.1), and used the exact same QRCode to generate my Key code and then was able to sign in no problem. So this seems oddly specific to either my device (iPhone 6s) or the operating system.

• A "feature" indeed. ;) Sometimes software is so smart it is stupid, right? I'll see if I can find a way to reproduce this one. If I can I'll file a bug report for our development team. In any event, I'm glad to hear you were able to get it working.

Thanks!

Ben

• jbocciardi
    jbocciardi
    Community Member

Thanks, @Ben. If I hadn't gone through all the steps again, AND used my iPad for a control, I doubt I would have stumbled on the solution. So, you totally helped! I'm calling this one done.

• Thanks again. :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.