1Password 6.8.9 crashes on Catalina 10.15.4 with Termination Reason: Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x1

On a new install of Cataline 10.15.4, I download and install 1Password 6.8.9. It crashes before when I open it, no user interface appears. When checking the Console I see an error message which states the reason for crashing is "Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x1". I do not even get a chance to open a vault.

I have fully reinstalled the operating system and downloaded 1Password again; the error persists.

1password 6.8.9 runs successfully on my other Catalina system without issue; the only difference that system is an upgrade over several releases of MacOS.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.4
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Edit... I meant to say it crashes when I open it

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @brass_

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Code signing errors are usually a result of the application having been modified. Do you have anything installed on this system that might be modifying installed apps? Or antivirus? In particular, do you have a software package called Sentinel One installed?

Ben

• Hi Ben

Not to my knowledge, it's a clean install. All I have installed is Libre Office, visual studio code, VLC, brew, python3, chrome and Firefox.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@brass_

I just spoke with one of our developers about this case and he suggested booting the Mac in Safe Mode (hold shift while booting) and try launching 1Password there. Then reboot again in normal mode and try launching. Apparently we've seen some cases where some underlying magic in the OS resolves this issue when doing this.

Please let me know if that helps. If the result is the same after booting back into normal mode please post the output of this command:
    codesign -d -vvv /Applications/1Password*.app

Thanks.

Ben

• Hi @Ben

Switching to safe mode did the trick! 1password 6 is now running in regular mode on Catalina perfectly. Thank you!

Could you ask the developer to explain why that worked?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

The answer was literally "some magic in the OS" — honestly we're as stumped about it as you. But I'm glad to hear that worked. :)

Ben

• I've just had the same code-signing thing, but with 1Password 7.5. I tried rebooting in safe mode, but no magic. So I downloaded the app again and installed and that did work. The font running in the app is not as clear as it should be, and the icon in the dock is a generic one, but perhaps these will clear on the next reboot.

• I meant to add this to the post...

➜ ~ codesign -d -vvv /Applications/1Password*.app
    Executable=/Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password 7
    Identifier=com.agilebits.onepassword7
    Format=bundle with Mach-O thin (x86_64)
    CodeDirectory v=20500 size=43910 flags=0x10000(runtime) hashes=1363+5 location=embedded
    Hash type=sha256 size=32
    CandidateCDHash sha256=c01b95b3f3138c2f868bfe9b6772463fb4c4d989
    CandidateCDHashFull sha256=c01b95b3f3138c2f868bfe9b6772463fb4c4d98939ea9de67480622558dbff92
    Hash choices=sha256
    CMSDigest=c01b95b3f3138c2f868bfe9b6772463fb4c4d98939ea9de67480622558dbff92
    CMSDigestType=2
    CDHash=c01b95b3f3138c2f868bfe9b6772463fb4c4d989
    Signature size=8928
    Authority=Developer ID Application: AgileBits Inc. (2BUA8C4S2C)
    Authority=Developer ID Certification Authority
    Authority=Apple Root CA
    Timestamp=6 May 2020 at 00:21:50
    Info.plist=not bound
    TeamIdentifier=2BUA8C4S2C
    Runtime Version=10.15.0
    Sealed Resources=none
    Internal requirements count=1 size=220

➜ ~ open -a 1Password\ 7
    LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed for the application /Applications/1Password 7.app with error -10810.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@adrianraper:

The font running in the app is not as clear as it should be, and the icon in the dock is a generic one, but perhaps these will clear on the next reboot.

Can you please post a couple of screenshots of these things, so we can make sure what you are seeing?

• The dock icon has resolved itself. This is a screen shot of the 1password app with 1password website in the background for comparison
    It is a retina display. This is not a big problem of course, I can still use the program.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@adrianraper:

Thank you for the screenshot! Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Did things improve?

• Oh - perfect! Thank you.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

You are welcome @adrianraper! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file