Family Plan - is it right for us?

Options
blacknell
blacknell
Community Member

We need a single plan for us and I'm not sure if Family is right (or whether we need Teams which is intended for businesses primarily I believe)?

Each member of the family needs to be able to create their own vault(s) which they alone can guarantee is private to them.
As necessary each member might individually choose other family members to share their own vault with (either read only or writable).

It's important that I, as the Family administrator, can't force myself onto the access list for another family member's vault.

I don't want the complexity of using tags or other features within a vault.

For example,

• Paul might share his main vaultP with Helen.
  • Tom might create his own vaultT and share it with no one
  • Paul might create a new vault2 and share with Helen & Tom
  • Andrew might share his main vaultA with Alex.
  • Libby might create her own vaultL and share it with no one.
  • Andrew might create a new vault3 and share with Alex and Libby.

Nothing any user can do (especially me) without passwords could force another member onto a vault they don't control.

Can you help advise?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @blacknell

In 1Password Families a Family Organizer will be able to add themself to any shared vaults. By definition anything that isn't each user's built-in "Private" (or "Personal") vault is a shared vault, even if it isn't actively being shared with anyone. If that is a non-starter for you then you would need one of our business solution - either 1Password Teams or 1Password Business, which has the option to allow (or disallow) administrators managing vaults on a per-vault basis.

If you don't need any of the features of 1Password Business, then 1Password Teams should be sufficient. I hope that helps!

Ben

• Ben
    Options

In speaking with my colleague @rickfillion it was pointed out to me that let administrators manage this vault doesn't include/exclude the "owners" group, which the person who creates the membership would be part of. As such, unfortunately, I don't believe what I suggested above would actually be a viable workaround here.

I'm not aware of a way to accomplish what you're looking for, @blacknell. Sorry about that.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.