Login on another computer

Options

Ok, so I am sure this has been answered but I seem to be blind. I’ve been using 1PW on my Windows PC using 1Password X and in my iOS phone and I love it. Yesterday I had a small dilemma though. I needed to log onto a website from my daughters laptop. Sure I could have logged on to the website after digging out my secret key, but I was curious, is there any other way? Is there some kind of 2FA way to be able to authenticate on any computer if I needed a password quickly?

Also sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum :)

Thank you!

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member
    Options

No. No one other than you has an unencrypted copy of your secret key, and the secret key is necessary to decrypt your data.

• As a general rule, @buyanet, you don't want to be signing into 1Password on a computer that isn't yours. There's no "sign in and just give me this one password", it's all or nothing. Instead, I'd suggest using your iPhone. Pop open 1Password, find the Login item for the account you're singing into, tap the password and select "reveal", then use that as a reference to type it in. You can choose large type as well if it's too small to read comfortably. Yes, typing a random password stinks, but it's the best way to sign in to a single account on a device where you don't want to install 1Password and add all of your data to an app or extension.

Alternatively, if there are any account you want your daughter to have permanent access too, you can always stick them in a vault shared with here. I don't know how old she is, but if you want to keep an eye on the accounts she saves in 1Password, you can even add here as a guest. That will give her access to just one vault that's shared with you so you can keep a look out. :+1:

• buyanet
    buyanet
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @bundtkate :) I wasn’t sure if there maybe is some kind of USB Dongle I could use to pop into a computer, unlock with my Master Password, and bam, access to all my passwords. Remove the USB Dongle and everything is gone again off the computer. Sounds like a great product idea :)

• Honest, there probably is a way to do that these days, @buyanet. There are entire operating systems that can run on a USB drive if it's big enough and big enough ain't quite so uncommon as it might have been in the past. That said, I'd wager it wouldn't be tons of fun and probably has security concerns I am not even thinking of, but it probably is possible. We already carry tiny computers in our pockets everywhere, so it really isn't that outrageous, right? Anyway, hopefully reveal serves for now and your needs to type passwords are few. :chuffed:

• buyanet
    buyanet
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah you're probably right @bundtkate -- Can I ask one more follow up question? I'd hate to make a new thread for this. I was reading another post on this forum and the following article was linked:

https://support.1password.com/recover-unsaved-password/

It's happened to me plenty of time where this would have been useful. My problem is, I can't seem to find a "Passwords" category? Here is a screenshot of all of my categories showing in the 1Password Windows App. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@buyanet:

1Password only shows you categories that have at least one item. From your screenshot, it looks like you have no items in the Passwords category, and therefore it is hidden. As soon as you create one (either manually or through the random password generator), you will see it in the menu list too :)

• buyanet
    buyanet
    Community Member
    Options

How long would it be showing there @ag_ana ? Because I've used the Random Password Generator oftentimes before. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@buyanet:

After you generate a password using the password generator, and you convert that password item into a Login item, the corresponding password is removed from the Passwords category to avoid duplicates, so it could be normal that you don't see any of those there. If you want to test this, create a new Password item manually in the app (select File from the menu bar > New Item > Password), and the Password category will appear in the list.

This discussion has been closed.