1Password failing

mbierman
mbierman
Community Member
edited April 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

I have a homebridge server running on my LAN. When I try to login using 1Password, it tells me the password isn’t correct. If I copy and paste the password from 1Password it works fine so the password is correct. How can I fix this? It is an unencrypted url if that matters.

1Password Version: 7.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.4.1
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mbierman!

It is possible that password AutoFill is caching an old value of the password. Can you please try disabling and enabling AutoFill once, and see if that still happens? You can do it under the Settings app on your iOS device > Tap Passwords & Accounts > AutoFill Passwords, and select and deselect the 1Password option.

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

Thanks, @ag_ana. That did not solve the problem.

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

Now I’m seeing the same issue on a public website too. https://www.partswarehouse.com/

• @mbierman

Is it possible the password saved in 1Password is longer than the maximum the website will accept? If you copy and paste the website may truncate the password to the maximum acceptable length, whereas this probably wouldn't happen with autofill. For partswarehouse.com it appears the max length is 20 characters.

Ben

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

Thanks, @Ben. That did indeed solve the problem. Very cool! It is unfortunate that many sites do a poor job conveying password requirements (min,max,required and prohibited characters).

This is a good trick which I will keep in mind.

• Glad to hear that did the trick. Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

Actually I spoke too soon, @Ben. Things work on macOS. It works on Safari on iOS. But it is failing in Brave. I have disabled Brave Shields for the site. Any idea why this might be failing?

• @mbierman

Brave on iOS or Brave on Mac? Does it work if you copy & paste from 1Password?

Ben

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

@Ben Great questions.

Brave macOS seems good.
    Brave iOS has this issue for me.
    Yes, copy/pasting solves the problem on iOS but is more cumbersome.

The password is only 15 characters (much smaller than I prefer but I was trying to stay under any realistic limit on the password. ) At least I'm assuming password length isn't the issue?

• For partswarehouse.com it appears 20 is the max, so 15 should be fine. Have you tried refreshing the autofill cache? I posted about how to do that here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/545137/#Comment_545137

Please let me know if that helps.

Ben

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben. I'm sorry I wasn't clear. You solved the problem for partswarehouse.

The remaining issue is a problem with a local server I'm running an instance of homebridge.

Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately that did not solve the problem.

• Gotcha, thank you for clarifying. My homebridge instance also has the web UI plugin (this one: https://github.com/oznu/homebridge-config-ui-x/) and it accepts a 22 character password. So that shouldn't be the difficulty. Unfortunately I'm not currently in a spot where I can connect to it from iOS to test further. I think at this point the best I could suggest would be saving a new Login item for the homebridge web UI. I used 1Password X on a Mac to save mine.

Ben

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben. I deleted my old 1password login for homebridge and recreated it as you said using 1Password X on my mac. It works fine on my macOS but still doesn't work on Brave iOS.

As a side note, is there an easy way to determine a site's password requirements other than looking through the javascript? That would be a handy tool to have in my toolbox.

• As a side note, is there an easy way to determine a site's password requirements other than looking through the javascript? That would be a handy tool to have in my toolbox.

Not that I'm aware of. I'd love to see a standard developed and adopted for this, but as it stands each site does their own thing, which makes it difficult to determine, especially programatically.

I deleted my old 1password login for homebridge and recreated it as you said using 1Password X on my mac. It works fine on my macOS but still doesn't work on Brave iOS.

I wish I were in a better position to test this myself but I'm currently away from my homebridge installation. Does it function any differently on iOS when:

1. Using autofill in Safari
    2. When using the 1Password extension in Safari: Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone and iPad

It is possible that the developer of the homebridge web UI is doing something particularly odd but I'd be a bit surprised if that were the case. It is an open source project, and they have a public issue tracker, so if we're not able to find a solution you could file a bug with them.

Ben

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

Safari on ios does just fine using 1Password. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• I'm not sure there is anything on our end we can do to improve the situation then, unfortunately. 1Password doesn't provide filling instructions to autofill. It sounds like the problem is between autofill and Brave, not 1Password and autofill. It might be worth checking in with the Brave team and letting them know that autofill works on this site in Safari, but not in Brave. I'd be interested to hear what their perspective on that is.

Ben

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

What is 1password doing behind the scenes? Is it pasting the password into text fields? Is it using JavaScript to set the field values? Any differences with that on iOS vs macOS?

• @mbierman

1Password is providing the username and password to autofill. What autofill does with it from there is entirely on iOS. With the 1Password extension (e.g. step 2 above) the filling code is ours, but with autofill it is Apple's. When using the extension we use JavaScript to set the field values. We do not use the clipboard. Autofill also doesn't use the clipboard, but I'm not sure if it is using JavaScript or some other method to set the field values.

It is an entirely different ballgame on Mac vs iOS. Some of the filling logic carries over (when using the extension), but that's about it.

Ben

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

So I notice that it isn't just Brave. Chrome and Edge also fails on iOS. Safari on iOS is o.k.. Am I correct that all browsers on iOS would use autofill?

• Yes indeed, however, I just tested my homebridge web UI with Chrome and Safari and it worked fine with both. So, I'm scratching my head a bit here. I'm going to move this over to our Saving and Filling category and see if any of my colleagues over there have a better idea.

Ben

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

Thanks, @Ben !

• Hey @mbierman

I consulted with my colleagues on the extensions team to confirm, but it seems we don't have any influence over how autofill works in one browser vs another. The data we're providing to autofill would be the same either way. If this is working for you in Safari but not other browsers then I think the best I can suggest for now would be to use Safari for this website.

I'm sorry I don't have a more sophisticated solution to offer.

Ben

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

It is a head scratcher. Thanks for all your effort.

• You're welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.