8 character 1PW6 master password persisting on 1PW7 browser extension

Options

I used a standalone 1PW6 for years which I have now upgraded to 1PW7 by purchasing a membership.
When signing in to the web version of 1PW7 it required that I nominate a new 10 character master password as it would not accept my old 8 character 1PW6 master password. Three apparently connected issues:-

1. The newly loaded 1PW7 browser extension on Chrome will only open on the web version of 1PW7 with the old 8 character 1PW6 password and similarly the Mac version of 1PW7 will only open with the old 1PW6 Master password. Why is this and can I reduce everything to open with the one web based new 1PW7 Master password?

2. Perhaps more importantly, but maybe connected to the above two password issue thenew installed 1PW7 Chrome browser extension does not seem to work properly:
    a) when I try to update compromised passwords (identified by Watchtower) to randomised passwords using the new browser extension, the browser does not go to the site unless I find it manually.
    b) when I choose a new randomised password the update on the site never seems to be accepted.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:old password too short for 1PW7 so now have two?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Stustrath32!

The newly loaded 1PW7 browser extension on Chrome will only open on the web version of 1PW7 with the old 8 character 1PW6 password and similarly the Mac version of 1PW7 will only open with the old 1PW6 Master password. Why is this and can I reduce everything to open with the one web based new 1PW7 Master password?

Please make sure you remove your old Primary vault from the 1Password for Mac app, after making sure that all your data has been migrated to your account. The old password is coming from the old vault, and we recommend removing it to avoid this sort of difference.

Perhaps more importantly, but maybe connected to the above two password issue thenew installed 1PW7 Chrome browser extension does not seem to work properly:
    a) when I try to update compromised passwords (identified by Watchtower) to randomised passwords using the new browser extension, the browser does not go to the site unless I find it manually.

What process are you following exactly? If you could share the exact steps you are following, we can try to replicate the same behavior here.

b) when I choose a new randomised password the update on the site never seems to be accepted.

Do you get an error message when the new password is not accepted? If so, what does it say?

This discussion has been closed.