One-Time Codes

Options
mloveday5
mloveday5
Community Member

My one-time, two-factor codes are not syncing across my devices. It appears they're around 30 seconds apart. The website and Mac desktop app appear to be in sync, but I have totally different codes on my phone.

The one on my phone is the only one that has worked on multiple sites. I logged out and back in on my phone and that didn't work.

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• @mloveday5

The predominate reason that a 2FA codes fail is that the time on your computer is slightly off. 2FA codes are generated by your device, using the current time, and they change about every thirty seconds. If your computer clock drifts/differs from the server, a wrong code will be generated. Another way to put it is with the clocks on your computer, and the server differing, a mismatch in the 2FA codes occur, resulting in an inability to log in.

I would check and make sure the time is set correctly on your device. Nowadays, most all devices set their time automatically. However, hiccups still happen. I have had to toggle my "Set time automatically" settings from On > Off > On.

Try checking your time @ https://time.is/ with the affected device.

• mloveday5
    mloveday5
    Community Member
    Options

This worked. I had no idea. Thank you!

• @mloveday5

You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.