1Password requires full password instead of Windows Hello?

stevewoo
stevewoo
Community Member
edited April 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Over the past few days, I have been getting prompted to enter the full password instead of using Windows Hello. This is happening over at least two devices. This is in situations where Windows has not restarted and 1Password has not exited (at least not that I am aware.). What's going on?

My security settings are to allow Windows Hello to unlock 1Password.

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hello is one of those things we don't have a ton of power to figure out why things are causing trouble. Most of this process is up to Windows, with 1Password's primary role being just to ask Windows to authenticate you with Hello and Windows taking the reins from there. That said, there are a few things that are know to cause trouble and the biggie is a pending Windows update. I don't know personally why this happens and in the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't happen as much as it sometimes feels like it does, but pending updates tend to get folks into a state where all sorts of things are just ever so slightly broken until they get installed. So, my first suggestion would be to pop open Windows Update, expressly tell Windows to check for updates (it won't always do this on its own if the pending update is considered non-critical), install any you've got and give your PC a reboot.

If that doesn't help or you don't have any updates available, we've got a short laundry list of steps that will generally sort Hello issues out here:

https://support.1password.com/windows-hello/#get-help

If none of that helps, let me know. A lot of times, there's genuinely nothing we can do in these cases. We don't get a ton of insight into why Windows isn't showing Hello when we ask for it so it's a bit of guessing and checking, but I'll certainly do my best to track it down and as often as not, it fixes itself given time and an indeterminate number of reboots. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.