How do I get my document back?

Options
brianwilson2729
brianwilson2729
Community Member

Hi there, I'm new to the forum so please bear with me. I am using 1password 7 on my MacBook and I saved a file in the vault which was in rtf format and contained all of my password and account login details for any on line account I had. Whilst attempting to work out how to append this document within 1password I inadvertently dragged the files disk image to download instead of the .rtf file itself. This file now thinks it is a .png and will no longer open with a text viewer. I have tried to get it back from view history but all instances are now the icon only. I have looked for restore options but there do not seem to be any in this software.

Is there a way I can restore this file or is it gone for good?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

1Password Version: 7.4.4O
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.4 Catalina
Sync Type: 1password server

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @brianwilson2729

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with your file. If you change the file extension from png to rtf by renaming the file, does it then open? If not, are you sure you're downloading the correct file? Please let me know.

Ben

• brianwilson2729
    brianwilson2729
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben

Thanks for the swift response. I've just had another look and there was a copy of the file in view history from Saturday, when I downloaded it it was the correct file and populated with all information from that date. Strange thing is, before I posted the issue, this file too was showing as a .png file and would not allow download.

Not entirely sure how this has resolved itself but it seems to have.

I think going forward I will always keep a backup copy of this file on my external SSD, just in case!

Thanks again for the quick reply.

All the best and keep safe.

Brian

• Ben
    Options

I'm glad to hear it worked out. I'd be curious though... what are the intentions with / purpose of this file? It seems 1Password would replace the need for that, and would be much more secure and convenient? 1Password does also offer automatic built-in backups:

1Password backups

Please let me know, if you don't mind sharing the rationale. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.