MacOS browser add-on cannot copy generated password

Options
Camellochapin
Camellochapin
Community Member

Hello, depending on the particular circumstances I might just need to get a randomly-generated password. If I do it from the PC-based software I can perfectly do that: I select the 1password browser add-on, select Password Generator and I can automatically generate a password, copy it and use it wherever I want. If I try to do the same from MacOS, the only option is to Save & Copy. Why is that? It unnecessarily creates a new password entry into 1password, when all I needed was the password and decide what to do with it. Is this a lack of consistency between operating systems or is it a Machine-Floor-Interface (me) issue? Thanks for your help!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.5 (70500003)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:MacOS browser add-on cannot copy generated password

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Camellochapin

I agree the two apps should behave the same. That has been a long and hard fought battle where we still have a lot of territory to cover. The logic from the development team for the behavior you see in 1Password for Mac is that we'd much rather be accused of saving data that ultimately you didn't need, vs being accused of not saving data that you did need. It isn't anything you're doing "wrong" etc - that's just how it was designed to operate. Hopefully with the next generation of apps we can agree on a consistent behavior at a minimum, regardless of which behavior that is.

Ben

• Camellochapin
    Camellochapin
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Ben for your detailed explanation; I'm glad to hear it wasn't a machine-floor (me) issue LOL! Still, that doesn't change my love and appreciation for 1pwd and its Team!

• ag_tommy
    Options

On behalf of Ben, you're welcome and thank for the love. We all (inhabitants of earth) can use a good dose of love in todays world.

This discussion has been closed.