Version Update to 7.5 Detects Not Existing Copies of 1Password

Options
Frito
Frito
Community Member

I'm using 1Password 7.4.3 on Catalina. I tried to update to 7.5 (build #70500003). The installer shows a warning, that updating may lead to problems because the installer found other copies of 1Password. The shown list of other installations is empty.
I did some other version updates of 1Password on this sytem before without any issues or warnings.
Is it safe to install the upate?

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    Options

@Frito

History: We recommend excluding all versions of 1Password.app from backups. Backups like Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, Super Duper, and many more have exclusion lists. What can happen is macOS will start the first copy of 1Password it finds, which may or may not be the one you want to be started. We encourage you to make use of such lists to make this less of an issue.

Issue/question: Do you have a backup drive attached to your Mac? If so, I would suggest making use of the exclusion lists within the apps, by adding 1Password to the list. If the installer mentioned it found no additional copies, you should be safe to proceed forward. It's trying to warn you before problems happen and be proactive. If you ever need an earlier version, we maintain downloads on our update server going back to 1Password 1, from the year 2006.

In short, if no other versions were shown, you should be safe to proceed.

• Frito
    Frito
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy
    Thanks for the quick answer.

Yes, my TimeMachine backup was attached. Just wondering, because I didn't see this warning while updating before, even with my TimeMachine backup attached. And in the end, the list of additional copies was empty.
    With your answer, I found the blog entry mentioning this. I will exclude the app from backups and delete the entry from all backups.

Thanks again...

• ag_tommy
    Options

@Frito

You're welcome. I am glad you found the blog post. If you have any questions feel free to reach out.

This link may help, if you need it. https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/delete-a-file-time-machine-backup-disk-mh26863/mac

This discussion has been closed.