What is this 1Password10_backup_xxxxxxxxxx.sqlite file I found in AppData?

Options
frett
frett
Community Member

I am backing up User files and found this .sqlite file in the AppData file under 1Password. What file is this? Why are there tons and tons of random websites in it? It's in plain text, too.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:what is this 1password10_backup

Comments

• Starting with 1Password 7.4, @frett, any time 1Password updates your local database format, it creates a backup first just in case. This file is that backup and all actual data in it is fully encrypted. Those sites are not, but they're also not related to your data. That's Watchtower's database of compromised websites.

As is discussed here, Watchtower checks for compromised websites locally. That way, the sites you've saved in 1Password aren't being sent to us (or anyone else for that matter). To get that done, a database of those compromised websites is downloaded into your local database when you enable Watchtower and updated as needed so that Watchtower can alert you to any new breaches of sites you use without compromising your privacy.

This database, of course, has nothing to do with your data. It is publicly available and anyone that wants to can check if we've logged a compromise for a site by searching it here. The only connection between those sites and your data are encrypted with your data in the format of the Watchtower warnings shown on your items (if any). There's nothing within that list of compromised websites nor anywhere in plain text that shows which of those site you have an item for in 1Password or otherwise connects it to you in any way. It's just a tool to allow Watchtower to do its things in a privacy preserving fashion.

• frett
    frett
    Community Member
    Options

That makes perfect sense! Thank you for the quick reply!

• frett
    frett
    Community Member
    Options

Lol Just got your profile name...Awesome!

• Haha. Thanks, @frett, and it's no trouble at all. The name is one I've been clinging to, at least until someone tells me I have to be more professional. Beyond computers, my favorite hobby is baking so it fits well. Plus, it's a nice name to save for my baked goods food truck if I ever happen to start one. :wink:

Anyway, I'm glad we've cleared things up and if I can do anything more to help, I'll be here. Or making a cake in my kitchen, but I'll be back. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.