want to buy stand alone license for windows but buy option doesn't work

Hi guys, I've been owning and using 1password for years and went thru a few iterations already currently at version 4 on windows and I think it's time for me to upgrade to stand alone windows 7 since i don't want any of my password online, ever.

I downloaded 1pw 7 from agile website for my windows 10 update 1909 and unlock my local vault with it. I then proceed to purchase using the "stand alone license we got that too" link from the app, but clicking on buy just cause the app to exit completely or just looping back to the window where the link "stand alone license we got that too" is.

Is there a direct way of purchase a windows 10 stand alone license from you guys or another method because this in app purchase option doesn't work.
thanks

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: windows 10 1909
Sync Type: local

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @distant

Welcome to the forum.

but clicking on buy just cause the app to exit completely or just looping back to the window where the link "stand alone license we got that too" is.

1Password for Windows should be opening your default browser when you get to that point. What do you have set as your default web browser? I haven't seen this on Windows... but on Mac there is a utility called Choosy, which lets you pick which browser to launch each time you open a link. That causes issues like that you're describing. I wonder if perhaps we're running into something similar here?

since i don't want any of my password online, ever.

Would you mind elaborating on your concern here? 1Password membership is the way forward. We no longer advertise standalone licenses. If there are concerns with our membership model I'd like the opportunity to address those. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• Hi Ben, your reply prompted me to clear cache and history of my chrome and it now opensfastsprings checkout page so i'm all set. thank you. On the reason why no online, it's really simple i don't want my entire life to be online even if there is a 0.00000000000000000000001% chance that it can be cracked open. would you put your entire life and your family life on somebody's hand? software is written by pp. and pp are not perfect. i have gone thru in the last 10 years no less than 5 major db cracked and stolen by huge companies that effect me and family. do you guarantee total material and mental compensation if anything happens to my entire life and those of my family ? don't feel bad vecause nobody can. what those companies did was to offer a year or two id protection. really ? and 1password db has a lot more than just id and financial info. much more.

• Hi Ben, currently i'm still on the read only 1pw7 and i don't see an option to sync via wlan like 1pw4. The file menu is not available I guess it will once i bought the license and wlan sync will become avail as well ? please confirm.

I'll be using both ios and android devices to sync with this 1pw7 windows version. Will they work in wlan sync with each other and/or 1pw7 ? and will both ios and android versions also become fully functional as opposed to right now only my ios devices can wlan sync with my 1pw4 ( i bought ios license way back together with 1pw windows) but just downloaded android recently (with no option to purchase).
    cheers

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@distant

your reply prompted me to clear cache and history of my chrome and it now opensfastsprings checkout page so i'm all set. thank you

I'm glad to hear that worked. :)

On the reason why no online, it's really simple i don't want my entire life to be online even

I totally get that, and that is why we have designed the system in such a way that we never hold your secrets (using technology called "end-to-end encryption").

About the 1Password security model

do you guarantee total material and mental compensation if anything happens to my entire life and those of my family ?

We don't, and I understand how that could be off-putting. But the reason for that is because you hold all the keys, not us. If we were charged with holding the keys, then it might make sense to do as you say. But your data is encrypted using secrets only you know: we never have them, and we can't reset them. The first thing 1Password does is it encrypts your information using your Master Password, which you're already familiar with, and in addition when using a membership it also encrypts that data using a Secret Key that is generated by your device.

About your Secret Key

I certainly understand the hesitation, particularly having gone through the experiences you have, but it might be worth taking a read through some of our security literature to understand how we've built things differently. As I say, membership is going to be the way forward for 1Password. :)

Ben

• distantdistant
    edited May 12

of course nobody else should keep the keys except owner, hasn't it always been that way for any encryption based safe vault degisn? except for encryption schemes where public keys are involved but that also is only half of the puzzle for decrypting. But the main weak link is always that db can fall into the wrong hands and putting db online is particularly vulnerable to that. By keeping it local that risk is removed. very simple.

1pw design principle is on the premise that db would be in the wrong hands in the first place then work on how to keep the db safe from being breached. Nobody simply put their life and their family's lives into a falling airplane that's dropping out of the sky based on boeing saying hey it has a very safe design such that it will slow down the fall and before the airplane shatters on the ground you'd be long dead by natural cause. When does the second boot drops is the question one doesn't get an answer until it's too late when they put the first boot down by chucking their live online.

my need is simple, i would like to have wlan sync feature in windows 1pw7. isn't it so difficult a request ? i know you as a company pushes agressively for online but that's is a immoral business practice when you know deep down it's not the best for your customers. Many things are suitable for online access, yes but not this, not your entirely live, it's just callous to say hey it's the way to fo forward, do it, without pausimg for a few moments to think about the tragic ends for those pp whose db got hacked by certainly your own implementation somehow in the future.

Again, if your online sales are good, great, many things are suitable for that, but there are real people normal average pp that need that local storage and wlan symc make their life a little bit easier. it's 2020 for peace sake, how hard is it to put a wireless feature in a software ?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

But the main weak link is always that db can fall into the wrong hands and putting db online is particularly vulnerable to that.

I'd encourage you to read the Secret Key guide I linked above, as it specifically addresses the concern you outlined (the database somehow getting into the wrong hands).

By keeping it local that risk is removed. very simple.

Unless you account for malware or device theft, which may leave you in an even worse spot with standalone.

my need is simple, i would like to have wlan sync feature in windows 1pw7. isn't it so difficult a request ?

I can say definitively that WLAN sync is not coming to future versions of 1Password for Windows. I'm sorry if that is a deal breaker for you.

i know you as a company pushes agressively for online but that's is a immoral business practice when you know deep down it's not the best for your customers. Many things are suitable for online access, yes but not this, not your entirely live, it's just callous to say hey it's the way to fo forward, do it, without pausimg for a few moments to think about the tragic ends for those pp whose db got hacked by certainly your own implementation somehow in the future.

We respectfully disagree. We spent 10 years thinking about it. Then we spent a few years building it. Now it has been out and available to the general public since 2015. It isn't something we've taken lightly. We're confident it is the best solution that we can offer. And the math backs that up. You may be interested in our white paper, which gets in-depth on how exactly we back up our claims:

1Password Security Design White Paper

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file