Knox Substitute

mobius32x
mobius32x
Community Member

Hello: I know that Knox is in its new life in software heaven, but what do you recommend as a substitute? I still use it on a limited basis, but want to encrypt more files. I think I only use it sporadically b/c I'd hate to lock myself out permanently for my vital stuff. I guess I can use the native Mac capability (File Vault?), but wanted to get your thoughts.

Thumbs Up

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mobius32x

Knox was always a front-end to tools built-into macOS. It has been a while since I used it, but it seems between Apple's Disk Utility and Finder apps you can accomplish everything you could've done with Knox, though perhaps with a few more clicks. :)

Ben

• mobius32x
    mobius32x
    Community Member

Okay, thanks. I'm really looking to encrypt specific files rather than whole drives (I of course do backups), but I'll check out DU and Finder.

• mobius32x
    mobius32x
    Community Member

One other question: since Knox saves as sparse images, if I deleted Knox would my password still open the sparse image?

• I understand. Disk Utility can create the same encrypted sparse bundle files that Knox could. :) Behind the scenes, Knox was using Disk Utility to create them.

Create a disk image using Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Ben

• mobius32x
    mobius32x
    Community Member

Okay, great! Thank you, Ben.

• You're very welcome. :+1:

Ben

• 1pwuser31547
    1pwuser31547
    Community Member

Another option is Veracrypt